Mud inside engine...How to clean without taking cases apart?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Mud inside engine...How to clean without taking cases apart?

Post by bradthreee »

I got the itch to rebuild one of my Sprees. It is a good candidate as it only has 850 miles. Carb was filled with dirt so I cleaned that out, but it looks like the dirt found its way into the engine. I removed the Head and found lots of carbon buildup on top of the piston. I figured I would remove the cylinder and check to see what the damage was. I was a bit surprised to find that the top end was scratch free. Upon closer insection and cleaning I found that dirt is inside the engine case! :shock: It was a mixture of oil and dirt with the consistency of mud! My question is there any way to clean the insides of the engine without having to take the cases apart? Can I flush it out? Any help would be much appreciated!

Brad
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Mud inside engine...How to clean without taking cases apart?

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I would recommend a full teardown, its the only way to be sure. You can try flushing it out but how clean the bearings end up will never be known.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

What should I use to flush it out? Any instructions on How-To?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

pour some gas in there. keep your oil pump in. slowly rotate the crank. dump it out, and repeat. check your crank seals when u get more gas in there. make sure they aint leaking. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Thanks Jay! I'll give that a shot :D
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Some people use diesel on 4 strokers, replacing the oil with diesel, running it a while, then flushing. It seems to have a detergent nature about it. Should work on a 2 stroker too, since it is a tear down project, and you'll be drying out before running it anyway.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

I have used WD40 to clean coolant from a snowmobile bottom end before. Worked pretty well actually. As we all know WD40 displaces water and this is good in this instance. Also nice that its under pressure to get into the bearings better.

Be prepared to use a whole can.

- Spray ilberally, dump out, repeat (a lot).
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Lunytune wrote:Some people use diesel on 4 strokers, replacing the oil with diesel, running it a while, then flushing. It seems to have a detergent nature about it. Should work on a 2 stroker too, since it is a tear down project, and you'll be drying out before running it anyway.
wiguy05 wrote:I have used WD40 to clean coolant from a snowmobile bottom end before. Worked pretty well actually. As we all know WD40 displaces water and this is good in this instance. Also nice that its under pressure to get into the bearings better.

I really didnt want to take the cases apart. I already removed the top end so basically I would like to dump some type of cleaning agent down the top of the case, maybe swoosh it around, then dump it out. Maybe even soaking in a bucket like the chemical decarbonization of a muffler. Of course repeating it like 20 or so times. As for the WD method I think it would be pretty hard to reach the bearings without taking the cases apart. I'll give it a shot tho. Thinking of getting to it this weekend. Any more advice please post. Thanks!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

bradthreee wrote:
Lunytune wrote:Some people use diesel on 4 strokers, replacing the oil with diesel, running it a while, then flushing. It seems to have a detergent nature about it. Should work on a 2 stroker too, since it is a tear down project, and you'll be drying out before running it anyway.
wiguy05 wrote:I have used WD40 to clean coolant from a snowmobile bottom end before. Worked pretty well actually. As we all know WD40 displaces water and this is good in this instance. Also nice that its under pressure to get into the bearings better.

I really didnt want to take the cases apart. I already removed the top end so basically I would like to dump some type of cleaning agent down the top of the case, maybe swoosh it around, then dump it out. Maybe even soaking in a bucket like the chemical decarbonization of a muffler. Of course repeating it like 20 or so times. As for the WD method I think it would be pretty hard to reach the bearings without taking the cases apart. I'll give it a shot tho. Thinking of getting to it this weekend. Any more advice please post. Thanks!
If you do that, buy the big jug and not a bunch of spray cans - it's cheaper.

hollister_boy
BMX
BMX

Post by hollister_boy »

Pour Alot of gas inside,

Tie match to stick,

Stand back light match stick in spark plug hole,

let it burn baby burn.
SPREE SPREEEEE
WHITE
LOTS OF MILES
50 cc's STOCK 33MPH

Wildfire
50 cc
WFH50-S2
45 MPH STOCK
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

hollister_boy wrote:Pour Alot of gas inside,

Tie match to stick,

let it burn baby burn.
Really? I dont want the sand turning into glass :lol:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

hollister_boy wrote:Pour Alot of gas inside,
Tie match to stick,
let it burn baby burn.
Your procedure reminds me of the way a friend tests his hot handloads for his rifle. He braces the rifle in a car tire, ties a string to the trigger, and hides behind a tree while he pulls the string. :roll:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Back to Brad the Cubed's original post: Is this "Dirt" just dried fuel resins and oil residues? I'd think if the filter has been on the scooter the whole time, the best solvent to clean it up would be atomized fuel mixture sprayed in under hot conditions by the carburetor. In other words, just run it. It's self-cleaning. :) Fuel goo dissolves in fresh fuel - eventually. See The Beast! :twisted:

On the other hand, if the "Dirt" includes sand and real mud - as in wasps' nests or a whole rodent ecosystem - then I suggest you disassemble and really wash things out. Especially the bearings.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH