new idea on fuel petcock

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

new idea on fuel petcock

Post by turtle13 »

so i finally got my scoot from the bottoms area here in KC to our new house in the waldo area, fun drive for 1 in the morning, but to many hills for my taste. However i think my petcock went out on my way here, got home put the scoot in the garage and started to reek of gas.
haven't had the time to pull it apart to find out whats going on, but it got me thinking. what if instead of having a vacuum operated petcock that seems to love to fail, we just wire up a relay off the run switch to a fuel solendoid? this would negate the issue i would run into of not turning off a manual valve when i get off the scoot. because lets face it, i am stupid.
so then as long as your key is turned to run, and the run switch is set to run as well the fuel will flow. but if you take the key out, or turn the switch to stop, it will cut all fuel. i am not sure if this would put any strain on the electrical system however.
but here is the problem, anybody know where to get one that does not cost 100 bucks. i am thinking more in the range of 20-30.
tell me what you think, or if you can figure out any better way to do it.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re: new idea on fuel petcock

Post by wiguy05 »

I don't think you're going to find one anywhere near the price range of a replacement petcock, hence why Honda did it that way originally.

K.I.S.S.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

That solenoid is made for non explosives,water,air,diesel(yes you can get diesel to"explode",but under very high pressure/temp.).Like in an engine.This thing probably can cause a spark,thus potentially causing a great deal of excitement.Best look some more.....Always looking for more excitement,Carp.
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

A new petcock is $20, even that non-gas solenoid is $30.
You really can't go wrong with just a new petcock.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

yeah, i guess the heat is getting to me. i thought this up while re insulating our new houses attic. this would probably be something that really would be better under the KISS method. one less part to go bad. or atleast if it does you can still run the scoot...
ok, still, that being said, any one find any nice fuel shut off valves? i may just go the hardware store route, but i would prefer a 1/4 or 1/2 turn valve.
'62 125cc Honda cub
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

carp wrote:(yes you can get diesel to"explode",but under very high pressure/temp.)
at about 1000 deg. F
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

eliteguy50 wrote:
carp wrote:(yes you can get diesel to"explode",but under very high pressure/temp.)
at about 1000 deg. F
It takes 200 psi to ignite diesel. Yes, I just imagine that would produce 1000 deg. F. Gotta get the heat from somewhere in a cold engine, and compression is the key.

Flashpoint of gasoline is very low. It's more dangerous than gunpowder. Believe me, I deal with gunpowder and never had an explosion. I have had a few calamities with gasoline.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Don't be thinking of a shutoff for gas lines ,don't think they are made for gasoline( remember gasolineworks geat as a solvent).Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

There are several petcocks on the Parts For Scooter web site.There is a link to it in the wanted/for sale forum under great places to buy(think that's it,4th one down).Look in accessories,big scooter gas tanks or atv/dirt bikes, $9-$17.They even have vacuum actuated ones(some have adapters available to make them more versatile).You might try Scooter Therapy(link same forum), or a lawnmower/landscaping shop.
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Hey,what scooter are you talking about?Spree,Early/late SA50?My beater '95 SA50 has almost 7,000mi with the original petcock,that's not too unreliable.The guy here on the Spree/Elite forum that is making the Spree big bore and gear kits has an ebay store(alluneed) that has petcocks at a good price(heck find a post of his ,pm him asking how much w/shipping).Carp
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

sounds like yours is stuck open and the carb has float/needle/seat issues. You could try finding a manual motorcycle petcock.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:sounds like yours is stuck open and the carb has float/needle/seat issues. You could try finding a manual motorcycle petcock.
My wife's elite E had same issue. I rebuilt a carb I bought off eBay, left the old petcock on it. I bought a petcock from alluneed, but didn't install it. With Carburetor repaired, I don't need it now... or should I say... not "for" now. Maybe later.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Accolay
Goped
Goped

Post by Accolay »

If they were trying to KISS, then why didn't they just make it manual? Probably didn't fit in with the side plastics?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Idiot proof, same reason the choke is automatic.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.