new problems have arisen

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

linzospree84
Noob
Noob

new problems have arisen

Post by linzospree84 »

Ok so i had a post on here before, but now we have a new set of problems, my 84 spree wasn't starting, so i checked teh spark, charged that bettery, and cleaned the carb and air filter, it started fine woked great, drove it that afternoon while i was driving the scooter died on me, it started back up fine, i made it to my driveway and it died again, now i have no start, no lights, no power whats so ever...can someone give me some help please, i really like this scooter and would rather be riding it than drving my car in this crazy tourist traffic i have to deal with...in great detail if possible i am new to the scooter world!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: new problems have arisen

Post by Lunytune »

Let's start with the simplist, and even embarrassing stuff first:
1. Did you accidentally bump the kill switch and it's still off?
2. Did you try kickstarting?

Electrical issues can sometimes be tuff to diagnose in a forum unless somebody just guesses and happens to hit it. But I would start with testing the battery, connections... Try jumping it from a car battery.

Then pull the plug wire, put in a new plug, make sure it's grounded good and kickstart. If you don't have fire to the plug, then you got to back up to a pure electrical problem.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Lunytune wrote:Try jumping it from a car battery.
Be sure the car is not running. Some vehicles have too much alternator output for a scoot to handle and you will fry the scooter...not fun for anyone, let alone a noob, to deal with
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

well no lights will go on untill the bike is running, accept the tail light and that could be a bad bulb or unpluged or corupt. then the running and dieing sounds like a fuel issue. make sure your petcock (below seat has its own special cover) is not cloged and is working. it has 2 lines coming from it one is a vac line and it goes from bottom of petcock to the carb manifold (VERY important that this is crack or leak free) if in doubt swap it out. the other is the fuel line. when you start the spree it causes a vac witch then turns on the petcock letting fuel into the carb. now you can see that if you were riding and then it stalls and dies it may be a fuel issue, you stop and then kick it a few times and bam it starts up again (crack in line seals up for the moment then leaks again) you ride home on the fuel in carb bowl or you get some fuel comming in and then leak then die again.

check the petcock vac line

ya i know i have said this over and over BUT these old sprees are about ready for petcock replacement . i got one recently on ebay for $12 free shipping. fyi they are $36-$40 at the honda shop

videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Videonut wrote: ya i know i have said this over and over BUT...
videonut
You think you're beginning to sound like a broken record? :roll: Been there done that. Sometimes a newby will say, "nah, that ain't it". Then in the end says, "I shudda listened". How do I know? Because I keep hitting myself in the forehead, saying, "I cudda had a V-8".

Every problem, regardless of past issues, we have to come back to basics, and yes, that petcock is one of those basics.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Lunytune wrote:
Videonut wrote: ya i know i have said this over and over BUT...
videonut
You think you're beginning to sound like a broken record? :roll: Been there done that. Sometimes a newby will say, "nah, that ain't it". Then in the end says, "I shudda listened". How do I know? Because I keep hitting myself in the forehead, saying, "I cudda had a V-8".

Every problem, regardless of past issues, we have to come back to basics, and yes, that petcock is one of those basics.

yup....i wish that this was not on how many posts you have made but on how much you acctualy know about scooters or motorcycles. I love to get a old bike or engine and get it to run again for the first time in years. it makes me feel like i accomplished something cool. corse i do that all day every day. (im a copier and printer technician) i get to fix broken stuff all day (I LOVE IT) But ya i guess ill stop belly aching. i guess some noobs dont care to look at the other posts to see if there prob is discussed just take he short cut and ask the same questions over and over. its funny how some posts just go off on other tangents. :lol:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

i guess some noobs dont care to look at the other posts to see if there prob is discussed just take he short cut and ask the same questions over and over
Problem is searching is very time consuming and thread titles seldom give any clue to the content. Case in point is this thread, "new problems have arisen". There may not be any easier way for linzospree84 to write the title in less than 100 words, but that doesn't help the noob searching for info. Experienced guys/gals should be eager to help the noob. linzospree84 would still be searching if people hadn't responded.

So if you've got a noob copier/printer technician having a problem, what do you tell him? "Go research", or "describe your problem"?
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Lunytune wrote:
So if you've got a noob copier/printer technician having a problem, what do you tell him? "Go research", or "describe your problem"?

funny you should ask that. We have all the tools available for any person to fix the issue at hand (the noob here doesnt) I remember being a noob (not to long ago too) and the first thing i looked for was shop manuels Granted my scooter was not ill at the time.

but yes i get rookie techs calling me all the time i dont mind unless i cand find the answer in the computer without and trouble. goes to show that the tech (who is factory book trained ) didnt even look up the problem, but took the short way out and called someone to do the work for them. Still am understanding what you said. the threads are vague. I guess i just love reading all the threads that pertain to the spree and some others too.

thanks for the awsome debate.
videonut
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Lunytune:

that petcock is one of those basics.

I'd say it's 1/2 of the 'DieNamic Duo' - the other half being the infamous 'DieStarter.'

:shock: :lol:

CaptDan>
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

No Dan, it's that tiny weeny hole that requires a guitar string and much frustration to get clean. You and Hondasan taught me that one. And now that we've been introduced to "boiling the carb", Christle has even learned how to deal with that hole.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Videonut, I've been school trained in a number of disciplines, but I've yet to see a repair manual with a decent troubleshooting section, especially on scooters. There's nothing like talking it out with those who have "been there, done that". Judging by what I've seen at Hondasan, I put more confidence in this forum than their shops. There are exceptions at Hondasan, but this forum is still a great help. So I encourage openness to noobs.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Lunytune wrote:Videonut, I've been school trained in a number of disciplines, but I've yet to see a repair manual with a decent troubleshooting section, especially on scooters. There's nothing like talking it out with those who have "been there, done that". Judging by what I've seen at Hondasan, I put more confidence in this forum than their shops. There are exceptions at Hondasan, but this forum is still a great help. So I encourage openness to noobs.
Agree.....:)) :))

vidonut