Correct way to clean spark plugs??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Videonut
Spree
Spree

Correct way to clean spark plugs??

Post by Videonut »

Ok so i have always wondered if cleaning spark plugs was bad or not
here is my CH80 spark plug all black and nasty

and here is me cleaning it with a small wire wheel (is this acceptable) i have done this for years and never thought about it until some of the threads keep saying replace the spark plug.

and i have never replaced one unless it was WORN OUT bad or broken or beyond cleaning. here it is all bright and shinny

well?? what do ya think

videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Correct way to clean spark plugs??

Post by Bear45-70 »

I think at the price of new plugs, it just is not worth the effort. I never save used plugs. Just trash can them and install new. When in doubt about a performance issue or engine problem, install a new plug.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Cleaning the plug with a wire wheel usually damages/scratches the ceramic insulator(worse with those sand blast plug cleaners),this can lead to performance problems and the plug getting dirty faster.At least that is what the FO.MO.CO. race engine builders used to say.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You did a nice job cleaning up the business end of the plug. However the problem with a worn plug is down below, where the ceramic meets metal. Over time the insulator changes properties in some mysterious way - or so I have read. Maybe little pits form in the ceramic or perhaps the material itself acquires more conductive properties. Whatever the reason, the insulator on an old plug eventually no longer er... uhh, insulates as well, leaking precious volts across to the ground via the metal jacket. Weak spark, poor performance. I can't count the number of times I encountered performance issues and feared the worst, only to find that a new plug completely resolved the issue.

I'll bet Mr. Mouse could devise a method for testing a plug with an Ohm-meter and large, spark-producing equipment. Otherwise, I'm with The Bear and Carp on this one, for the $3.00 price tag, pitch the old one and buy a box of 10. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Very good thread. im sure that this will help alot of people...

Videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have cleaned fouled plugs by getting em red hot and letting them cool slowly, they rarely last for long though. It's easier and far more reliable to buy a new one.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

if you have a summer/winter climate you should run a cold plug in summer & a hotter plug below 50 degrees, i got 3 yrs out a plug before a head gasket leak.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Years ago, most garages had plug cleaners, which was little more than a sand blaster with fine grit material. It worked fine back then. But compression ratios were lower, meaning less demand on the plug, and voltage was considerably lower, meaning less risk of carbon tracing through deteriorated ceramic. I don't know if you are gaining much nowadays by cleaning a plug. It's one of the cheapest things we install on a scooter. Far better to replace a plug than be caught in a rainstorm with a bad plug. Yeah, I've been caught in two rainstorms in past month and glad I had a good plug.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Lunytune wrote:Years ago, most garages had plug cleaners, which was little more than a sand blaster with fine grit material. It worked fine back then. But compression ratios were lower, meaning less demand on the plug, and voltage was considerably lower, meaning less risk of carbon tracing through deteriorated ceramic. I don't know if you are gaining much nowadays by cleaning a plug. It's one of the cheapest things we install on a scooter. Far better to replace a plug than be caught in a rainstorm with a bad plug. Yeah, I've been caught in two rainstorms in past month and glad I had a good plug.
Not only were the compression lower, but the gas was of a much higher quality.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Lunytune wrote:Years ago, most garages had plug cleaners, which was little more than a sand blaster with fine grit material. It worked fine back then. But compression ratios were lower, meaning less demand on the plug, and voltage was considerably lower, meaning less risk of carbon tracing through deteriorated ceramic. I don't know if you are gaining much nowadays by cleaning a plug. It's one of the cheapest things we install on a scooter. Far better to replace a plug than be caught in a rainstorm with a bad plug. Yeah, I've been caught in two rainstorms in past month and glad I had a good plug.
Not only were the compression lower, but the gas was of a much higher quality.
Yeah, we had lead back then too. And it seems we had less varnish problems, could be wrong on that. Can you imagine what it would be like today with fuel injection and high energy ignition if we had leaded gas and less or no ethanol?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Lunytune wrote: Yeah, we had lead back then too. And it seems we had less varnish problems, could be wrong on that. Can you imagine what it would be like today with fuel injection and high energy ignition if we had leaded gas and less or no ethanol?
If that were the case, then someday these would be the good old dayz.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree