Please help me 1 more time!!.........

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Please help me 1 more time!!.........

Post by jimmymac313 »

This site has been tremendous over the last week since I joined. I have learned so much and have greatly appreciated it. I have just one more request for help, and my spree should run like new!!

OK, I re-tapped the carb holes, cleaned the carb, installed new petcock, strainer, air filter, new spark plug and changed the oil. It now runs very good, seeing just as of this morning it would not run, but my only problem left now is, at 25 MPH, it starts to bog down, and I have to release the throttle, then get back on it, sometimes it will still bog, others it will take right off again. This is driving me crazy and cannot figure it out.

Before the spree died a few days ago, I topped out about 31-32 MPH, now only about 27 MPH but bogs at 25. Please help me with your vast knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried to stay away from asking about everything, but this one I just cannot figure out.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: Please help me 1 more time!!.........

Post by hondaman »

Have you tried adjusting the air and idle screw settings on the carb?
Try this. Warm engine up to operating temperature. Adjust idle screw until a nice even idle is achieved without having your back wheel turn. Now go to your air screw and turn it in until the engine begins to faulter. Now turn that air screw back until the idle increases to its highest point. Leave the air screw setting there. Go back to the idle screw and turn it down a bit until your idle is even again. If that doesn't solve the bogging you can try moving the clip up or down a notch on your throttle valve needle. This is assuming your carb is really clean inside.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No harm in properly adjusting the idle circuit, but the problem seems to be at WOT, which is all about the main jet/fuel/air mixture. Did you oil the new air filter according to Honda's prescription in the Service Manual?
Improved performance by letting off the throttle sounds like it may be too lean, a side-effect of too much air getting through (or around?) the new filter.

If it's running lean, it could be indicating a imminent seize. I'd avoid flogging it until you're sure this isn't the problem. Don't assume the new filter arrived with the recommended saturation of oil. I suggest you pull the spark plug and examine for color. Anything lighter than "cardboard" would tend to support the lean theory thing. If so go back and soak that filter in whatever oil Honda recommends, wring it out and reinstall.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

I did play with all the air and idle screw settings and that didnt do the trick. I did not soak the filter in oil, as the bag said pre soaked......so I will have to give that a shot.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Th last time I bought a honda filter it was very half assed in the oiling department.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

If you've done all Wheelman said, and know you're not running too lean, put an ounce or two of Seafoam in the tank and run it a while. It's possible you still have a thin coating of varnish in the small jet way, the one you cleaned with guitar string. The Seafoam will dissolve it and you should see a gradual increase in performance. It certainly won't hurt and just might be the cure.

I'll have to agree with Kenny on the filter. I too bought a new Hondasan filter that was heavily soaked and had to rinse it several times in gasoline and let it dry thoroughly before it would breath right. Make sure you let it dry or you will get a rich mixture from the "wet" filter.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

apprieciate the replies. have soaked the filter, let dry out and now top out at 27 MPH, but once in awhile still bog down with WOT at that speed.

I have lost 5 MPH with what I have done so far.
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

pretty much still the same today. I ran a tank of premium through it in hopes of maybe cleaning it a little, no help there though.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Did you pull the plug yet? Whats the word?
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

bradthreee wrote:Did you pull the plug yet? Whats the word?
yeah, pulled it this morning, and it looked like it should. May still buy a new one anyways seeing that this one is only 2 days old.....but I can then eliminate that.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

jimmymac313 wrote:pretty much still the same today. I ran a tank of premium through it in hopes of maybe cleaning it a little, no help there though.
premium fuel cleans nothing more than regular does. premium in a 7.2 to 1 compression engine can foul the plug and does nothing for performance. You want clean, put some Seafoam in the tank.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
jimmymac313 wrote:pretty much still the same today. I ran a tank of premium through it in hopes of maybe cleaning it a little, no help there though.
premium fuel cleans nothing more than regular does. premium in a 7.2 to 1 compression engine can foul the plug and does nothing for performance. You want clean, put some Seafoam in the tank.
Plug wasnt fouled. True that running premium in an engine that does not call for it will not do anything for horsepower, but premium gas has more detergent in it than regular, and was running a tank of it through for that reason. Sometimes it works, others it dont.

After the tank ran out of premium, started to be a little better, still bogs a little at 27 MPH, but nowhere as much as it once was.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

jimmymac313 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
Plug wasnt fouled. True that running premium in an engine that does not call for it will not do anything for horsepower, but premium gas has more detergent in it than regular, and was running a tank of it through for that reason. Sometimes it works, others it dont.

After the tank ran out of premium, started to be a little better, still bogs a little at 27 MPH, but nowhere as much as it once was.
No, it does not.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

There seems to be a misunderstanding about detergents in gasoline. It won't touch varnish.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
jimmymac313
BMX
BMX

Post by jimmymac313 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
No, it does not.
LOL! ok, well I have experienced diffrent gains in diffrent automobiles than you I guess. But I still appreciate the replies.