85 spree carb and 87 aero carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tw39515
Elite
Elite

85 spree carb and 87 aero carb

Post by tw39515 »

could any body post pics of the areas that need to be cleaned with guitar string? got 2different carbs.
thanks in advance.
does the brass tube next to the main jet nee to be clear, or what does it do cant get anything through there
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Re: 85 spree carb and 87 aero carb

Post by tw39515 »

bump
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Great photos. I've been explaining these on almost every thread with "won't start" or "won't throttle", or "no rev/high RPM". These photos show what words cannot. Each carburetor differs in some minor way, but the serious "guitar string holes" are basically the same location. Doubt you could get a larger guitar string in the hole, so remember to use the #13 or .013", which I believe is the E string?

I've written Dac to ask if he can place these photos in his post on carb cleaning.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=5&t=8786

I am assuming you still don't have the metering jet clean. It takes diligence, poking with guitar string and carb cleaning. You might also try poking from the other side, not my favorite job as I don't have the eyesight of my youth. I've also been told that a welder's tip cleaner works good for the job. A welder uses special cleaners to clean the tip on his cutting torch. You can get the cleaners at welding supply stores.

I believe you have a question about how important the hole is. Well, the one going to the bystarter is as important as the bystarter itself. The other one, causes a rev and upper RPM problem. Scooter will idle, but won't rev. So yes, it's extremely important.

Your photos may help us better explain the matter to you.
Last edited by Lunytune on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Fill the tube with carb cleaner, let it soak for hours, then pluck a single wire from a fine wire brush, use it to clear the jet. Remember the jet-carb hole is offset so odds are it will never go all the way through, but should pass fluid.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

the soot will run and do 25 mph tires are low an im a big boy about 225. ithink i got the hole clean from topside, i soaked the carb overnight in carb dip. im im an ac installer so i have the tip cleaner for my torches. the scoot just wont idle. the idle screw is almost all the way in. i bought another carb with intake and reed valve just wondering if my problem is something else. still waiting on carb to get here. it idles very spurattic almost like there is a vacumm leak some where. i havent tested compression yet either. but thanks for the help.
ps i stole the pics from this board and added some paintshop to them
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You may be onto something with the reeds issue. Since you can't really ride, it's worth pulling them off and having a look. Early reed failure behaves as you've described. Later on it won't start unless you crank forever at WOT.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

to get it started i have to give it at least half throttle. ill find out in a couple days when my parts get here. but i hate to be just a parts changer. to many of those hacks in my field of work.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tw39515 wrote:to get it started i have to give it at least half throttle. ill find out in a couple days when my parts get here. but i hate to be just a parts changer. to many of those hacks in my field of work.
Yeah, you need to check the reeds. If you give my Spree any throttle at all it will not start. Throttle must be closed so the extra fuel from the bystarter will get drawn into the intake and I know I have good reeds.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

TeeDubya asserts:
to get it started i have to give it at least half throttle
That sounds like it could be reed-related for sure. No "parts-changer" label applies if you find your problem simply needs new parts. Order the gaskets and have a look? You can sometimes save them if you're very careful and a little lucky. Grease the new ones and never have to buy them again.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

cool thanks for the encouragment and advice,
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I dunno about yours but the torch tip cleaner set I have is far to large to work on idle jets found on full size bikes, let alone a 50. If you used one you may have reamed out the idle jet WAY too rich. We are talking about a precise hole maybe .005" across.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I dunno about yours but the torch tip cleaner set I have is far to large to work on idle jets found on full size bikes, let alone a 50. If you used one you may have reamed out the idle jet WAY too rich. We are talking about a precise hole maybe .005" across.
If it's only .005" across, how can you get a .013" guitar string in the hole? It was a professional moped/scooter mechanic who told me to try it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The pickup tube next to the main jet tower is brass and pressed in by nimble Kei-Hands. Obviously its lower portion is bigger than a guitar string. However the little hole at the top - where it enters the venturi next to the main jet outlet - is amazingly small. There's a legend about a "pinpoint" of light you can barely see in a dark room while shining a flashlight from the opposite side. (I have actually seen that dim star post-cleaning on 3 occasions.) Only then can you be sure the carb is clear enough to make the transition from idle to run. You can't tell if fluid is "running through" - it really is that small.

If this hole was enlarged at all, I'd say chances of running well are slim. Greg (USPmale) is the only person rumored to be capable of pulling that brass tube from a carb body without destroying the carb. If the "pinpoint" is set in the pilot jet brass, it may be replaceable and the carb will be salvageable. If the "pinpoint" is cast into the carb body as I suspect, you may need a new carb, sorry.

Check out the pictorial in the Carb Cleaning thread for further understanding.
Wheelman-111
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman-111 wrote:The pickup tube next to the main jet tower is brass and pressed in by nimble Kei-Hands. Obviously its lower portion is bigger than a guitar string. However the little hole at the top - where it enters the venturi next to the main jet outlet - is amazingly small.

You can't tell if fluid is "running through" - it really is that small.
Although it is not easy to stab that hole from the top with my eyes, I have done it with a guitar string.

And... I am able to squirt carb cleaner through the hole. If I can't get carb cleaner through it, I don't count it clean, and don't stop until I can. I've done several now and so far have been successful. I do notice a difference in design between the Aero (as in the photo?) and the late AF05E and the AF16E.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I test with compressed air, way safer to handle.