Starting problem - wierd air cleaner temp solution

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Starting problem - wierd air cleaner temp solution

Post by LocoParaHonda »

My moped runs for the most part, but I've been having a curious problem lately.

It won't start at all when I first try it, then if I squirt about a tablespoon of gas or a few squirts of carb cleaner into the airbox it fires up like a dream and runs fine to wherever I'm going.

The problem being that if I don't spray gas/Ccleaner in the airbox, it won't start at all.

For additional info, recently I went over a large bump and my air cleaner poped off. (wasn't properly secured) When I was driving it home, it sounded different, but ran ok until I turned it off. I reattached the element and secured it better, but then it wouldn't start. Thats when all this business started.

I also know that I need a new air cleaner element (on its way to me in the mail), but that shouldn't stop things from starting all together.
85 Honda Aero 50 w/kickstart and Keli variator. (Proteus)
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Starting problem - wierd air cleaner temp solution

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Bystarter passages in carb are plugged up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Starting problem - wierd air cleaner temp solution

Post by Bear45-70 »

I doubt the bystarter suddenly became plugged because the air box fell off. It helps if we know what you are riding. Most scooters don't do well on starting if the air intake system is not intact. So when you reinstalled the air box, did it have any new holes in it? Is the top on right? is the air box sealed properly to the snorkel that runs between the air box and the carb? Oh and usually if there is an air leak in the intake, the scooter runs lean which can soon melt a piston and gets expensive then.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree