gear lube

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

beep
Noob
Noob

gear lube

Post by beep »

What is the best weight to use, for gears 90 ???
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: gear lube

Post by bradthreee »

The dealer suggested I use 10W-40 Honda Motorcycle oil for the gears.

I've often heard others on the forum suggest 10W-30.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Maybe Honda-san had his reasons for using regular multi-weight motor oil? It's a low-stress application. You could probably use Mazola, but motor oil's cheap, available. You only need 3 Fluid Ounces - 90cc. Don't overfill.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Why not overfill?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Because you need the air space in there so when it gets hot and everything expanses you can compress the air. Oil just does not compress, at all.

Oh and using 90 weight is over kill for protection and will slow the scooter down due to a super increase in drag from the heavy oil.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I know oil expands and doesn't compress but it has an open vent tube, so it should just puke if truly overfilled?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Should of seen the trans on my 01 SA50 SR Elite i bought from a guy.. I didnt take the drain screw off for a couple of weeks and boy was i shocked to see all that oil coming out. I believe the guy had the thing maxed with oil! Took forever to drain it out.

I was worried that something would be wrong as my old man was telling me that there was probably tore up gears or something in there as the reason to over fill it to hid the evidence.. but it sounded fine.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Reasons not to overfill, in no particular order:

1. The roller bearings are splash-lubed. If you overfill, the bearing becomes "draggy". Furthermore,

2. the plain bearings on either end of the countershaft are lubricated by that little trough carved into the aluminum metal socket.

(You could see this if I could remove the countershaft gears and look behind...) :)

As the shaft spins, it "draws" oil into the bearing surfaces and creates a continuous flow of fresh oil through & around itself. If you overfill, you lose that circulating phenomenon. The same oil goes round and round, getting hot. I suspect the 3-oz. level keeps the oil just at the lower rim of the bearing socket, keeps fresh juice constantly flowing.

3. Probably not a big issue with this vented case, but smaller airspaces compress up higher and can blow by seals.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Makes sense enough.
elited
BMX
BMX

Post by elited »

I put an extra 1/2 - 3/4 of an oz extra in mine a while ago when i changed the gear oil, no change in performance and everything is good. 8)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Reasons not to overfill, in no particular order:

1. The roller bearings are splash-lubed. If you overfill, the bearing becomes "draggy". ..................
As the shaft spins, it "draws" oil into the bearing surfaces and creates a continuous flow of fresh oil through & around itself. If you overfill, you lose that circulating phenomenon. The same oil goes round and round, getting hot.
3. Probably not a big issue with this vented case, but smaller airspaces compress up higher and can blow by seals.
Sometimes at the parts store, you will see a display of the latest "gimmick" additive, like STP, with gears in a clear plastic container. The oil and gimmick in the bottom. Turn the gears and watch the oil travel up the gears. It's a perfect example of the way oil travels "up" as gears turn...

Ever notice that in auto/truck transmissions (manual) and rearends, the fill hole is about 1/2 way, not at the top to cover "all" the gears? It's hard to overfill a rearend or transmission without making a mess. Same should apply to a scooter. Don't make a mess, and do it with scooter level. Also, car rearends and transmissions have a vent. The scooter vent is not real classy, just a piece of plastic tubing, but it does vent to avoid pressure buildup.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes