got it running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

elite 8
Noob
Noob

got it running

Post by elite 8 »

I got an 89 sb50p for $25 a month ago. Of course it didnt run so I found this site and started reading. Turned out to be bad seals on the crankshaft among other problems. I split the case with a steering wheel puller (need to post a pic of the setup I used )put new seals and put the bearings in by freezing the crank and pulled it back together with longer bolts and heating the case. Went back together great. Put new ring in it.Cleaned the carb numerous times ,cleaned the tank an put inline filter in and cleaned out the oiltank and put in honda oil.Had leaky needle valve so I cleaned the seat with a q-tip and toothe paste. Now this scooter runs like a dream . Anyhow my point is if you have a problem with your scoot you should look around the site before you post "scooter wont start" . Everything I did was on this site in good detail and i have never messed with this kinda thing before. Without this site that scooter would be behind the barn by now so dont give up too easy on yours. Thank you everybody for the awesome info.
Wheelman-111

Re: got it running

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thank you for posting your appreciation, Elite 8. I must express my admiration for your doing all that as a lurker. Evidently your're a quick study and have nice results. Share what you've done?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Welcome to the forum. You are one tough dude to wade through all the threads as a lurker and manage to get your scoot going without asking for help. Forums are not always user friendly (as far as searching) and that's why I don't mind a newby asking for help. That's what forums are for.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
JONESER
Spree
Spree

Post by JONESER »

Good job!! I hava an 88 SA50 that I got out of a barn. I couldnt get it to start (other than 2 times), I bought a new reed, plug and a new bystarter still with no avail.
I had a friend thats pretty good with 2 strokes look at it. He determined that the seals or rings are bad. He doesn't have time to do the work and Im not sure if I can, so its setting in the garage.... I did go out and buy a NICE running '95 SR though.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Wow. There is somebody here who actually does research before asking a question :lol: .

Creds to you elite 8!
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
RockyMtnRoadRash
Noob
Noob

Post by RockyMtnRoadRash »

My identical scoot just got running too, same story. Congrats! Isn't the white and blue just totally... white and blue?
If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

JONESER wrote:Good job!! I hava an 88 SA50 that I got out of a barn. I couldnt get it to start (other than 2 times), I bought a new reed, plug and a new bystarter still with no avail.
I had a friend thats pretty good with 2 strokes look at it. He determined that the seals or rings are bad. He doesn't have time to do the work and Im not sure if I can, so its setting in the garage.... I did go out and buy a NICE running '95 SR though.
Here's another one of those "wish we were closer". I love resurrecting barnfinds. I would do the job free if you were closer. I think I'm addicted. :?
RockyMtnRoadRash said "If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter".
So now build one for her, and she'll love you for it.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
JONESER
Spree
Spree

Post by JONESER »

Lunytune wrote:
JONESER wrote:Good job!! I hava an 88 SA50 that I got out of a barn. I couldnt get it to start (other than 2 times), I bought a new reed, plug and a new bystarter still with no avail.
Here's another one of those "wish we were closer". I love resurrecting barnfinds. I would do the job free if you were closer. I think I'm addicted. :?

Addicted to that is a good thing, yoou could be addicted to worse things...
Believe me, I wish you were closer too!
The 95 SR runs awsome! I got a Keli varaitor with 9g rollers and just installed new 9:1 gears yesterday. I just need to order the new belt and figure out what tuning it needs to get it to go as fast as it should. Right now with the vari and the gears, the speedo is only going to the "F" on the fuel gauge. I just got back from a street that the police have speed monitors that tell your speed. With a slight incline in the road, it clocked me at 35.