86 Honda Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

xsmitty
Noob
Noob

86 Honda Spree

Post by xsmitty »

I have a Honda spree that runs great once it warms up. It's starts but takes a few minutes to get started. It will start then die, and restart and runs alittle longer, this process keeps going until it basically warms up. Then it runs fine and starts fine. What's my issue? the bystarter maybe? Thanks
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: 86 Honda Spree

Post by hondaman »

Most likely the answer is yes. Cold start problems is usually the bystarter{aka} the electric choke.
Wheelman-111

Re: 86 Honda Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The behavior is consistent with a bystarter plunger that has detached from its actuator - the stuff inside the black plastic cylinder. Normally the mechanism retracts the plunger to the default "Enrichener On" cold position. If it's broken inside, the enrichener is down the bore in the "Normal Run" position. It could be other things, but this is very easy to check.

Remove the two screws attaching the hold-down "Horseshoe" bracket. Carefully pull the assembly straight out. This may require a light twisting action. If you see just a spring and broken plastic tabs, look for the brass plunger stuck in the bore. A new/rebuilt bystarter is the simplest solution.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH