ebay carb for nb50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tw39515
Elite
Elite

ebay carb for nb50

Post by tw39515 »

prolly gonna need a new carb for my 87 aero. has anyone used this carb any advice would be appreciated. will prolly have to redo top end to compression was low on dry cylinder. will start but not stay running need to do compression test when hot.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Re: ebay carb for nb50

Post by scooterwerx »

the ebay carbs are garbage, unless of course you find an oem one...is the one on it completely destroyed, or just need a good cleaning?
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

this is the one in question.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Honda-Carbureto ... 286.c0.m14

ive cleaned it pretty good even small passages. it kicks right over but only runs for a few seconds. need recheck compression. just wondering if anyone had used that aftermarket replacement carb it says its new. thanks
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

time to tear down top end only 60 psi hot.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

60 PSI is rebuild time.

Might I suggest that you get it running 1st then tear down the top end? That way you'll only have one thing changed, and you'll have verified that the carb and oiler are working. If it won't run at all like that, fine, but I've gotten engines with that low of compression running before (if poorly) before tearing apart the top end.

Comments on Ebay carb is good. They're a completely unknown entity. Better spent to send the carb to someone like Greg at uspmale@yahoo.com for a rebuild.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

this is the one in question.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Honda-Carbureto ... 286.c0.m14
I'm with Scooterwerx on this one - stay away if you can. Expect some tuning work and more if you get one.

I've tried a carb just like that from the same seller - wincycles. Bought it last year. Didn't work well. I looked at it and decided not to swap over jets and needle from a OEM carb partly because of cold running problems. The bystarter was way to rich until warmed up. The richness may be the bowl orifice, never tried the OEM bowl.

Couple pics below to show obvious differences:
Float valve & needle set are different. Metal on metal seat

Float level is hand set, instead of pre-set. They bend that tab

Bystarter has a different needle. Could be the reason guys are having trouble with the clone bystater in OEM carbs.
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

good info just makes it harder to find a carb. any good after market carbs available? will probably be doing big bore kit.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

arreche makes a 17.5, 19, or 21mm carb that uses the stock bystarter and bolts up to the stock manifold. the wincycle carbs are 100% pure junk, i bought one a few years ago and never could get it as good as the stocker. avoid them at all costs! im sure someone on here has a carb they will sell you, it sounds like the carb is not your main issue though. 60 psi is not so good. you can get a big bore setup going good on a stock carb, just needs lots of jetting and a careful eye to avoid lean running. also make sure the pilot jet circuit is clean, especially if it wont idle. try looking through the pilot jet, you should see a tiny tiny pin point of light, if not, its clogged. they are very easy to plug up, my sb50 did it, and i ride it nearly every day.
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

its not that it wont idle, it starts if i give gas sorta revs up and dies i can mess with throttle but the longest it runs is 30 45 seconds.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

sounds like its not getting enough fuel, a bad needle or seat will let in enough to fill the bowl after sitting for a bit, but when running it cannot supply enough. check also the petcock and related lines...
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

are you talking bout needle attached to float, the pet coxk flows good fule when applying vaccum. beacuse i have an xtra one that attaches to float from a bad spree carb. im arfraid i moght have damaged small passage when i cleaned it with piano wire. i also had to modify throttle cable because onld on was bad. the new one wouldnt fit in old cap. the slide has full motion along with oil pump.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

well got it idleing but bogs whe given more than 1/4 throttle. took little video any help would be apreciated.

87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Well if it idles that is a VERY good sign as it indicates the smallest passages in the carb are clear and not damaged.

As for the the throttle bogging it could be the air filter, the main jet not being clean enough or a leak between the airbox and carb.

Have you replaced the air filter recently? If not that would be where I would start.

EDIT: Just watched the video and you appear to have no air box! That would be the problem.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

devenex wrote:Well if it idles that is a VERY good sign as it indicates the smallest passages in the carb are clear and not damaged.
Have you replaced the air filter recently? If not that would be where I would start.
It's just reverse of that. Bogging is an indication of the tiny jetway not being clean. And visa versa, if the tiny jetway is plugged, it will definitely bog.

A guitar string is not going to damage the hole. It would take more than what you can put on the string to cause damage. It's too flimsy to be forced.

But if you're certain the tiny jetway is clean, then look at airbox issues.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

i did notice fuel misting out back of carb. did same thing with filter on and off.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold