1987 Spree Custom Job

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

1987 Spree Custom Job

Post by Fixxxre »

I just got a great running 1987 Spree 2400 Miles from my neighbor, he thought changing out the tire would be more of a hassle than it was 8) Of course, now he is all worked up as I have put new tires on it and it runs great. I have been looking at the Big Bore Kit (44), as well as a performance coil, and the CDI without the rev limiter. Only questions I have are.....

1. The seller of the Rev Bypass CDI says that it wont be too much for my engine to handle..He says the stock were built to handle the higher Rev, just emissions and such is why it was put on there..True? or is he just trying to sell me

2. Is the coil really worth it if I am going with the CDI? NOTHING has been replaced on this and speedo tops out at 32 (?) with me on it, I am about 250. I figure a new coil wouldn't hurt.

3. I went with 2.75 tires on front and back, seems to be nicer ride, but those tires were originals I assume, can I get a nobby set? Can I go bigger?

4 I am going to go basic frame, no plastic except for middle front fork cowling to cover wires, so should I straight pipe the exhaust? Of can I get a stock and modify it? I read somewhere about a washer you can grind out? Don't know if there is truth to that.

5. I want to put a ridiculous horn on it..Like Semi Truck compressor horn, anybody seen anything like that? :? Too much??? :wink:

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated!!
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1987 Spree Custom Job

Post by mousewheels »

Welcome!
Good find on your new Spree, and happy it took little to get it on the road.

If you have not already seen it keithw's thread on speeding up a Spree is good reading
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =16&t=6510
  1. 'Rev Bypass CDI' The Spree has not been found to be rev limited by the CDI.
  2. Coil - not likely to increase speed on the Spree.
  3. 2.75 is about it in back, unless mods are done.
  4. Only Iowa restricted Sprees would have a washer. With you hitting 32mph vs 25 or so or the restricted model it's not an Iowa model.
  5. Guys here have put big horns on. Harley as well as air horns. The stock horn switch contact and wiring may not be up to what you find for a horn. The guys with monster horns install a relay to isolate the horn load from the OEM horn contact.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

See here:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... rny#p64343
And last post here:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... y&start=15
And relay wiring semi-instructional post here:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... lay#p64701
Welcome. Read all you can. Nice Spree find.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Thanks guys, I already ordered the CDI, I guess I fell for the old sales pitch :oops: ...O well, if it doesn't do anything like you say, I will send it back, or dispute through paypal...I am planning on Modifying the body, I.E no fenders on the rear, pretty much just battery tray, frame, seat..etc..painting the frame yellow, so if I take off all the plastic in the back can I do a bigger tire? From what I read, if I am getting as much speed out of it as I am, I must be ok as far as engine mod's go, I would just like to accessorize as much as possible..I will pst before pics soon, and during and afters if you are interested, check back..and any other cool ideas would be welcomed!!!

J.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Fixxxre wrote: should I straight pipe the exhaust?
2-strokes don't run worth a pinch without their matching expansion pipe. You'd best leave it stock or find a performance expansion pipe (very rare for Spree). The stock pipe has a little bit of expansion toward the muffler, but what it has is better than nothing. If you're getting 32mph out of it, you're really rocking!
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Update on the CDI, didn't do jack as you guys said. Next time I will wait for the advice from my Spree experts before I go and impulse buy. :oops:

Thanks for the advice on the pipe, I am going to try some things on this forum I have been reading, and as far as the Fog Horn goes..If I could..I WOULD!!

J
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50
Fixxxre
Noob
Noob

Post by Fixxxre »

Continued Here with pictures up!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11490

Thanks for all the help guys!! :newb:
Hunter S. Thompson

1987 NQ50