Breaking down question.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Breaking down question.

Post by GoodDerf »

So on sunday I took my spree out for a drive. When it started up it seemed to be firing odd, like if you started your lawnmower and switched it from choke to quickly. I just figured it was warming up so I thought nothing of it. Well about 3 miles into my journey I heard some odd noises, nothing I could really describe other than not right, and as I was pulling over to determine the problem my engine died slowly.

I got it back to the house checked the the electrical, replaced the spark plug, checked for spark, checked for fuel flow. No luck with those, so I took the carb off and cleaned it, it looked pretty clean to start, but it couldn't hurt. When I went to check the reeds they were fine except a piece of solidified grease had lodged one of them completely open. I am now waiting on new gaskets so I can put it back together.

However now I am worried that, when I get it all back together it still won't start and I'll have no idea where to go. Since I already have it mostly apart is there anything else I should look for or that I could do to test that once I get everything back together it will work?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Breaking down question.

Post by Bear45-70 »

Sounds like you sucked in a piece of air filter elelment. Is it all there and if not replace it? If the filter is bad it very well may not start.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Echoing The Bear

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My first ride to work on a then Brand-New-To-Me Flash III was punctuated by a similar heart-stopping moment, made all the worse by the pressure not to be late. Just pushed off from a traffic light and BB-Bbr-br-br-brr -> Stall.
Oh, le peuppage, as the French say. But it fired right back up and didn't repeat the incident. At home that night I examined the filter, which I had already assessed as being halfway through the process of reverting to the Primordial Ooze from whence it came.

Come to discover that a fragment had peeled off the backside to be sucked into the intake as a carb-clotting lump. No telling what it did passing through the reeds, since it eventually was inhaled and processed as fuiel, albeit really crappy fuel. I found a couple of shredded remnants in the crankcase when I pulled the top end for Nikasil installation.

Even New Old Stock filters were probably manufactured years ago. Consider hitting up Burnt_Toast for an example made from fresh, wholesome UNI foam. Keep in mind it may require an upjet if the UNI foam's cell structure is a lot less dense than stock.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Post by GoodDerf »

Yeah the air filter was my first thought as well from reading the thread when all this happened. however when I examined the filter it was all still in one piece looking a little dingy so I cleaned that and now it looks brand new. I guess a new question is the filter supposed to look like the green foam you would buy at a fabric/craft store as a mattress pad?
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

I bought two from Honda and they were black. But they do 'look' like that though. About 1/4 in thick with a little groove at the top and a screw hole.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8