spree acceleration

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mopar4u
Spree
Spree

spree acceleration

Post by mopar4u »

Is the acceleration on the sprees really really anemic? I know everyone seems to be pushing for top speed, I can live with the 30 mph max but I would like to see better acceleration. I'm hopeing there is nothing wrong with mine. The belt is not slipping because the motor is not over reving. If I were to grade the accel on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is "I need to use my feet to get it going" and 10 is "the front wheel comes off the ground when taking off" I'd say mine is about a 3.5
GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Re: spree acceleration

Post by GoodDerf »

That seems to be the normal consensus. When mine was still running, from 0-15 I could have probably beaten a stock spree on my normal bike.
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Post by mopar4u »

GoodDerf wrote:That seems to be the normal consensus. When mine was still running, from 0-15 I could have probably beaten a stock spree on my normal bike.
Your 0-15 comment is probably true with mine. My Yamaha Razz could smoke my spree. Hmmmm wonder if the razz engine and tranny could swap into the spree? The razz is in really really rough condition.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mopar4u wrote:
GoodDerf wrote:That seems to be the normal consensus. When mine was still running, from 0-15 I could have probably beaten a stock spree on my normal bike.
Your 0-15 comment is probably true with mine. My Yamaha Razz could smoke my spree. Hmmmm wonder if the razz engine and tranny could swap into the spree? The razz is in really really rough condition.
The Sprazz has been done. However you need to be aware that the Spree has no variator, so acceleration suffers badly. The cheap fix is a Big Bore Kit, it won't do much for top speed, but helps the * out of acceleration.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Post by GoodDerf »

mopar4u wrote:
You know I was thinking the same thing. From what I was reading the specs seem to be similar on a razz, though I haven't seen one in person to determine whether it would be worth it or even work.

*Edit, somehow I missed your post Bear*
Any info on what happens, and how hard a sprazz conversion is?
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Post by mopar4u »

couple questions

1. Can a drive clutch (front clutch) with a variator be put on the spree?
2. Can heavier springs be put in the driven clutch (rear clutch) to get it to engage a little later when the engine will be at higher rpm?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mopar4u wrote:couple questions

1. Can a drive clutch (front clutch) with a variator be put on the spree?
2. Can heavier springs be put in the driven clutch (rear clutch) to get it to engage a little later when the engine will be at higher rpm?
1. No one has found a variator that will fit on the Spree's small crankshaft end.

2. I wound suppose so but then you end up reving the crap out of the Spree's engine while cruising easy.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree