new(old ) '86 nq50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

new(old ) '86 nq50

Post by fightingplankton »

Hello, I just purchased an 86 honda spree. I read through most of your tech threads, and downloaded your pdf files for repairs as well as the owners manual. It was in pretty decent shape when I got it...however, I have NEVER worked on an engine before.
So, I got it home, drained the gas, replaced the gas, it still wouldnt run.
I checked the spark plug, besides being a bit "gunky" it was sparking and fine...but i replaced it anyway. Still wouldn't run.
So, I cleaned the air filter(as reccommended by another thread on this site), sprayed starter fluid...still wouldnt run.
Next i cleaned the carb(a daunting task for someone with no forehand knowledge)...still nothing.
Then i read about "jetting" and sure enough, turning those 2 screws fired it right up.
After getting it running, i replaced the tires(not fun) and super glued the cracked pieces of plastic. So...here's where my issue lies;
I took it out for a test spin, i only get 25mph, and I only weigh 150lbs. I expected a bit more.
My second problem i believe i have just found a solution for, which is this, my turn signals light, but are steady. I read that this is likely due to needing new bulbs. My question is...would it be steady on both sides if it were the bulbs, or is it more likely the relay?
Thank you in advance for your replies. Again, i'm totally new to this, so detailed information would be best(ie. i thought the petcok was the fuel filter).

p.s. if you're wondering about my username, its the same one i use for my saltwater club forums, which is why it may seem odd on a scooter forum.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Wheelman-111

Re: new(old ) '86 nq50

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome and congratulations on resuscitating your new/old Spree. You didn't specify mileage, but one suspect for underwhelming performance is the exhaust system. If it's caked con Carbon, it won't push out many ponies. It's not an Iowa Spree, perchance? Those models are limited by Honda-san on purpose to comply with moped laws in that state at the time. Many if not all the other Forum members have more Spree-habilitation knowledge than I.

Good job so far!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

a worn belt will cost you a few precious MPH as well. on a good day i get 32mph and i weigh about 150. prior to changing the belt i was getting 27 tops. just another suggestion
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

i don't think its an iowa, i checked the vin and from what i saw the iowa's have "061" in them before the * and mine is 060. I'm sure the exhaust could use a decent cleaning, however, im weary of how to go about doing it. The drain-o method doesn't exactly seem kosher to me, and I'm really not fond of throwing things into camp fires.
on an unrelated note, a friend of mine suggested i buy a product called "seafoam" to clean out my system. Any feelings about that?

as for the belt, i havent taken it that far apart yet, i just wanted it running as it is currently my only mode of transportation(my volvo died and went to swedish heaven). Thank you both for your replies.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

fightingplankton wrote:I'm sure the exhaust could use a decent cleaning, however, im weary of how to go about doing it. The drain-o method
It's not a big deal just be careful and wear rubber gloves. :)

Go to the Dollar store and buy about 7 gallons of Drano and mix 50/50 with water in a Dollar store tall trash can. (plastic not aluminum)Leave it in there overnight and all the carbon will come out in the morning. Just make sure you rinse it real good with a water hose, then let it dry out. A propane torch can be used to dry it as well.

It works better than anything else I have tried! :thumbwink:
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

oddly enough...i work at the dollar store...we dont have any trash cans right now.
okay, also, any thoughts on my turn signal issue? bulbs or relay?
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

fightingplankton wrote:oddly enough...i work at the dollar store...we dont have any trash cans right now.
okay, also, any thoughts on my turn signal issue? bulbs or relay?
I haven't had that issue. My suggestion is to go to the top of the forum page and type turn signals in the search. You are bound to find your answer there.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

fightingplankton wrote:Hello, I just purchased an 86 honda spree. I read through most of your tech threads, and downloaded your pdf files for repairs as well as the owners manual. It was in pretty decent shape when I got it...however, I have NEVER worked on an engine before.
So, I got it home, drained the gas, replaced the gas, it still wouldnt run.
I checked the spark plug, besides being a bit "gunky" it was sparking and fine...but i replaced it anyway. Still wouldn't run.
So, I cleaned the air filter(as reccommended by another thread on this site), sprayed starter fluid...still wouldnt run.
Next i cleaned the carb(a daunting task for someone with no forehand knowledge)...still nothing.
Then i read about "jetting" and sure enough, turning those 2 screws fired it right up.
After getting it running, i replaced the tires(not fun) and super glued the cracked pieces of plastic. So...here's where my issue lies;
I took it out for a test spin, i only get 25mph, and I only weigh 150lbs. I expected a bit more.
My second problem i believe i have just found a solution for, which is this, my turn signals light, but are steady. I read that this is likely due to needing new bulbs. My question is...would it be steady on both sides if it were the bulbs, or is it more likely the relay?
Thank you in advance for your replies. Again, i'm totally new to this, so detailed information would be best(ie. i thought the petcok was the fuel filter).

p.s. if you're wondering about my username, its the same one i use for my saltwater club forums, which is why it may seem odd on a scooter forum.

ok the bulbs will not come on if they are bad so i suggest looking to see if they were pluged in correctly. Not the bulbs but where the wires plug in under the luggage rack (the wires are long enuf to get out and they are color coded (red on red green on green white on white Ect) then is the battery good? if so then check grounding. super easy but requires removing the 2 side covers. Then replacing he belt is super easy too dont let it scare ya. its under the cover that holds the kick starter

Videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

still havent fixed the blinking (or lack there-of) problem, but, a new one has arisen.
i know there is a thread on "cold start" problems, but i dont think my isse is due to needing a different spark plug. Here's the issue:
every time i start my scooter, i have to tuen the screws on the carb. Some times more, sometimes less. Its like, I have to turn it up so high that the transmission engages, and then the tire starts spinning, but then i turn it down to idle speed.
Is this a common problem?
My "normal" settings for these screws is about 1.5-2 turns out on the top screw and .5-.85 out on the bottom.
I hate having to carry around a screwdriver just to make sure its going to start again after i turn it off.
thank you in advance for your help
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

ok well your carb needs to be cleaned and the Baystarter is probly shot too. start with cleaning "make sure to get the guitar string in there"
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The flasher is sensitive to load and battery condition. If one bulb is out, the flasher will not flash. Also, if there is no battery or the battery is in poor shape, the flasher will may not flash at idle and low speeds.

I'd check out that all bulbs light first because its easy:) , then look at the battery condition and flasher.