Impossible to go up hills

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

uwarrior
Noob
Noob

Impossible to go up hills

Post by uwarrior »

Thanks to the forum for lots of help. I recently purchased a 1986 spree which ran great and only had 1500 miles on it. One day it wouldn't start, and after searching around this site I decided to do some maintenance. Changed the spark plug, replaced the oil, changed the air filter, cleaned the carb and replaced the seals, replaced the vacuum/gas lines as they were cracking. After some work with the air and throttle screws I was able to get the spree running with good acceleration on level ground. When I took it out for a ride around my neighborhood though it was unable to climb inclines that I used to have no problem with. The spree bogs down to a complete stop. Any adjustment to the air/throttle screws makes me loose the acceleration that I have on level ground. Any suggestions on where to head next? Thanks.
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Re: Impossible to go up hills

Post by jamadi112233 »

hello

as far as the carb adjustments go, the spree only has one screw for adjusting lean/rich and one for setting the idle speed. i would suggest that you clean the carb again because no matter how clean you think you got it..... After that, try setting the air/fuel adjustments back to stock and see if that helps. If you are having trouble getting your scooter to run with a clean carb and the stock screw settings you may have an air leak. hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.
uwarrior
Noob
Noob

Post by uwarrior »

Thanks for the suggestions, back to the carb I go
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

pull the exhaust off and check the exhaust port to see if carbon is caked in there.The exhaust port window on the piston side usually gets almost covered by carbon and that will cause the bike to not have power too.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

jamadi112233 wrote:hello

as far as the carb adjustments go, the spree only has one screw for adjusting lean/rich and one for setting the idle speed. i would suggest that you clean the carb again because no matter how clean you think you got it..... After that, try setting the air/fuel adjustments back to stock and see if that helps. If you are having trouble getting your scooter to run with a clean carb and the stock screw settings you may have an air leak. hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

yip get the piano wire out too

videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again