new spree project

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

HammerDawg
Noob
Noob

new spree project

Post by HammerDawg »

I have a late 80's spree not sure of the year. It does have a kick start. any ways the battery is dead at I went to kick it over slowly and it did turn over but was tight or rough feeling. I had this thing running a bit a few years ago but has been sitting since. Now it is hung up or won't kick over. Not locked but won't make a couple revolution. should I pour some oil into the piston or what any help would be great.

Thanks..
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: new spree project

Post by fightingplankton »

my guess is the teeth in the gears slipped and now arent set the way they're supposed to be. i say this, although i know very little about it since i dont actually have kick start on mine(but ive read alot about it). what i would do is take the cover plate off, and realign everything.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
HammerDawg
Noob
Noob

Post by HammerDawg »

thanks will try.. going to tear down the bike tonight. The Carb is full of water and gunk, going to need a good cleaning and who knows what else it'll need.
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

when i first got my spree i had a similar issue. i was able to slightly turn the engine over, however you could tell that it wasnt a ''smooth movin' well oiled machine''. Every time i poured gas into the engine it ran out a rust colored muddy mess. what i did was remove the carb/intake/exhaust and i slowly poured gas in.... turned it over poured in some more gas....... i did this until everything loosened up. Ive had no problems from what was a nearly locked up engine. One product that I've always been really fond of is Marvel Mystery Oil. It has done wonders on engines for me and only cost about 6 bucks for a can.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

agreed. i was just told about marvel about a month ago, guy swears by it. says its a lot less corrosive than most other products.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
HammerDawg
Noob
Noob

Post by HammerDawg »

Well tore into it last night and found that I had a broken piston three pieces. So now what - well I need to get a piston and rings. And How do I clean out the case to make sure there is nothing inside? It has rust and water in there as well. I think I got the carb cleaned up pretty good last night and it was pretty bad need to get a new gasket kit. Any other suggestions?
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

Thats a bummer dude. Ok, i would suggest that you order tazlands big bore kit. This will get you a new piston rings and cylinder. Your other option is going stock through honda, but i cant imagine what you would have to pay for all of that. Just a guess, but im willing to bet that it would run you at least $200. Tazlands kit is between $75-$100. As for the water and gunk in side of the case, i suggest that you remove the entire engine from the frame and see what you can pour out of there. It only takes a few bolts to drop the engine. Is there anyway that you could post a picture of inside the engine?? With that we'd be able to see just how bad off you are.
Wheelman-111

Crank Water

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Given its provenance and the presence of water/goo in the cases, may I suggest that your best option for a trouble-free ride is to bite the bullet and split the cases. You can direct-inspect the bearings and seals to see if these cheap replacement parts are necessary. You'll get a fresh start with everything clean, true and Pure. You can address any casting ridges then port things to size, optimizing furl transfer and ensure a tight seal. Plus you'll have the satisfaction of having touched every single part in your engine. :happy:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

How does one go about splitting the case? wooden mallet and super-human strength???? I'm always afraid that i'm going to crack that non weldable case.
Last edited by jamadi112233 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Go here:

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf

Read Chapter 5 to drop the engine.

Read Chapter 10 pages 1-2 to split the cases. Read on to reassemble. The Honda tool is available for purchase, but hideously expensive. I get to borrow one anytime I like for the price of 15 Egg McFoodSubstances. Bring the McBagful to your local dealer some morning. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH