Spree Stalls when I sit on it

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree Stalls when I sit on it

Post by gfisher99 »

Ok, somenew observations...

Took the carb off again, checked float, removed float, re-cleaned everything. Was finally able to get the emulsion tube out, mine was stuck in there pretty good. Cleaned that up, it looks good now. Replaced everything, started it up and same problems as before.

Next...

To rule out the petcock, I drained the carb, then applied vacuum to the petcock with the fuel line attached to the carb to let it fill up. Then I removed the fuel line and vacuum line and plugged the fuel inlet on the carb, and vacuum port on the intake. Started it up, and I can now sit on it while its running after about 2 seconds. I can lean it over and rev it up as well.

Does this still sound like a float issue? It kind of does to me, since it seems when the float bowl gets lower, it runs better.

Or could this be a petcock issue? No fuel is dumping from the vacuum line during any of this...

What do you think?
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

ok so i been keepin my eye on this thread...very interesting problem! lol i even went outside ripped all the plastics off my scoot and started looking around tryin to think of what it could be..

its Gota be carb related in my opinion? cuz what changes when you sit on the scoot? Float/Carb angle, along with wires N such...

you've ruled out wires. and if when you cut the supply of fuel it keeps running..ONLY thing i can think of is its flooding itself when you sit down cuz of float angle?

something to check into..first off, does the float..."float"? try floating it in a small cup of gas? thats one thing i been thinkin. Second, is your air box free of obstructions? (possibly maybe could be something inside the air box, plugging the air tube when you sit down.. If ya think about it.. Say for example, someone stuck a small ball in the air box.. (JUST THINKIN, Not sayin the did..lol) when bike is on stand, suspension is relaxed, extended position. When you sit down, its compressed, bringing everything to a more level angle in one sense. If something WAS in there, it could be blocking the air tube hole?

thats all i can think of.. SOmething is messed up here..lol but i cant tell what just yet and i'm dying to find out! lol wish i could come help play with it!!

and for gods sake, KEEP US POSTED!!! lol
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Thanks man...

The float floats well. Its been sitting in gas since you posted and is fine. No evidence of gas ever being inside the float. It moves freely when installed in the carb as well. When the carb is upside down, the float is perfectly level, when right side up, the float has a downward angle.

Tested the float valve seal by blowing into the fuel inlet with the float down and float up. Both produced expected results (float closed, no air - float open, air allowed to come in).

One thing I noticed on the last carb teardown is that the brass tube next to the main jet tube is sort of gnarled. Looks like someone may have tried to remove it at some point. It has several marks, and another mark that looks like it may be punctured - although I cannot see light thru it. I wonder if when the fuel level in the bowl is above or below that (depending on the angle and fuel level) it causes it to either run correct, or run bad? Should that brass tube be pretty much pristine? I would assume do. Considering mine is not, and I believe its not a replaceable part, am I totally screwed, or would forum member uspmale's carb rebuild service be able to fix that?

I am currently soaking the carb in some carb dip - probably overnight. There is some calcification in the bowl on on other parts that I am not liking. Its proving to be some tough stuff. Once I pull the carb from the dip, I will try to take some hi-res pictures of the brass tube.

Thanks again for yall's interest in tis crazy problem. I think we will get it!

Greg
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Forgot to answer the airbox question. The airbox is good. No obstructions. I checked in all positions.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

That one?
Attachments
insidecarb2.JPG
insidecarb2.JPG (55.78 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

That tube may be your problem since it's the pilot jet. If someone's been messing with it they might have messed it up. It could have been removed and replaced.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Thats the one... Is it servicable?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Answer is no. It can be removed but it's difficult and wasn't meant to be removed. That's why it might look like someone fought with it and probably messed it up somehow.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Am I looking at a new carb? aye......
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

As promised, here are some pics of my gnarled Pilot Jet. Time for a rebuild?
Attachments
Pilot Jet2.JPG
Pilot Jet2.JPG (93.35 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
Pilot Jet1.JPG
Pilot Jet1.JPG (111.87 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

gfisher99 wrote:As promised, here are some pics of my gnarled Pilot Jet. Time for a rebuild?
If it's just scratched on the outside, it's probably not that big a deal. The important part is that the teeny little hole in the carb body that the tube leads to is not plugged up, and that the tube is not broken somewhere. If it has holes or cuts in it that go all the way from the outside to the inside, that could be a problem.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

You can test for clearance and holes by spraying carb cleaner through it. If a steady stream comes shooting out the top of the carb then it is clean. If any comes out the sides then you're in trouble.

That piece wasn't too hard for me to remove from two carbs and swap (I had one w/ good pilot jet and one w/ good mounting threads). I used needle nose pliers angled mostly towards the length of the tube with a wide rubber band to prevent metal on metal contact.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

I think there may be a hole in the tube somewhere (likely in the middle nick in the lower picture). That area is near where the top of the gas would be in the bowl. Therefore, when I tilt the scooter to the left, it is sucking in air instead of gas, killing the mixture. Tilt it the other way, and its still submerged and runs fine.

I am going to send the carb off to uspmale and have him rebuild the carb and replace the pilot jet.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Rebuild is your best bet, good luck.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Purchased another carb from a forum member. Hopefully it gets here this week. I will keep you all posted on whether or not it resolves the issue.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas...

Greg