Motor Keeps Seizing or Gears Getting Stuck...HELP

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Motor Keeps Seizing or Gears Getting Stuck...HELP

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Somehow I don't think removing the spark plug and cranking will get "all the oil out of the motor". Your engine doesn't seem to think so either. Maybe it's hitting the plug or something else, but I'd drop the block and tip it over to see. Otherwise, you can try vacuuming it from above.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Somehow I don't think removing the spark plug and cranking will get "all the oil out of the motor". Your engine doesn't seem to think so either. Maybe it's hitting the plug or something else, but I'd drop the block and tip it over to see. Otherwise, you can try vacuuming it from above.
I talked to the previous owner today and he kinda had the same input. He said something is floating which cause the motor to seize up. I have a hunch it is hitting the plug. Drop the block and tip it over? Do you mean pull the whole motor so I can tip it over? Sorry NEWB questions I know...
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If the piston hits the plug, it will close the gap. Very easy to see and unlikely as all get out.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Bear45-70 wrote:If the piston hits the plug, it will close the gap. Very easy to see and unlikely as all get out.
Ya and I checked that, the gap in the plug is fine.
tricolour
Noob
Noob

Post by tricolour »

Sounds like the crankcase is filled with oil. Crank it for a bit with plug out and see whether oil shoots out the plug hole.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Buya02:
I talked to the previous owner today and he kinda had the same input. He said something is floating which cause the motor to seize up. I have a hunch it is hitting the plug.
My first guess is hydrolocking with oil, but based on that additioinal info, it could also be a chunk of piston bouncing around up there. Therefore I now strongly recommend you remove the cooling shrouds and head to have a look. Continued cranking increases the likelihood of causing damage, if it's not already too late.

If the bore looks fine, you can then use a hose-and-vacuum to suck out excess oil from the bottom. This method will likely require a new base gasket however.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Quoth Buya02:
I talked to the previous owner today and he kinda had the same input. He said something is floating which cause the motor to seize up. I have a hunch it is hitting the plug.
My first guess is hydrolocking with oil, but based on that additioinal info, it could also be a chunk of piston bouncing around up there. Therefore I now strongly recommend you remove the cooling shrouds and head to have a look. Continued cranking increases the likelihood of causing damage, if it's not already too late.

If the bore looks fine, you can then use a hose-and-vacuum to suck out excess oil from the bottom. This method will likely require a new base gasket however.
Ok I will give it a shot in the next week when I get some time off. Hopefully things are ok, and it is just extra oil.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

No, it's a hydraulic piston. Small amounts of oil mixed with gas will burn up, large amounts of pure oil won't burn/compress and will just blow a hole somewhere in the block to escape any pressure that comes it's way.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Buya02 wrote:

Quoth Buya02:

Ok I will give it a shot in the next week when I get some time off. Hopefully things are ok, and it is just extra oil.

Everything looks pretty normal to me. No gashes, walls are not messed up, no large amounts of oil, etc. I am a NEWB, so maybe you guys may see something different...
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Update: I pulled the reed valve and tipped the bike over. I got about 1/4 cup of oil out. I then hooked up the battery and tried to start it...this time was still getting seized, but didn't even sound close to starting like it was before. I got tired and had to put it away.
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Update I let it sit a few days after I pulled the head, and I started to kick start it....Well it fired up! Ran for about 2-10 sec and then would die. Seems like it wasn't getting fuel, although I already checked the lines, cleaned the carb, etc. I pulled the carb, cleaned again, and put it back on. Now the motor wont turn over at all...sighhhhh BUT at least I know it "can" start.