pinion not working on spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: pinion not working on spree

Post by Trafficjamz »

eliteguy50 wrote:So, in theory, I could rewire the e-starter to make reverse for a triked scooter and then use the kickstart for forward, Great info Mousewheels.

Wouldn't the pickup need to be moved?

I thought we were talking about the pinion gear.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Not if the flywheel was heavy enough. Rusted points have caused several dirtbikes to surprise their rider as they take off in first gear backwards.
:b2t:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

If the starter motor is not assembled correctly, it will spin backwards. It is very easy to assemble it wrong and the pinion will not move out. Try removing the starter and disassembling and turning the cover one bolt. then test by hooking to the battery and see if the pinion comes out and it is spinning the opposite way.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

DENMANSHAFFER wrote:If the starter motor is not assembled correctly, it will spin backwards. It is very easy to assemble it wrong and the pinion will not move out. Try removing the starter and disassembling and turning the cover one bolt. then test by hooking to the battery and see if the pinion comes out and it is spinning the opposite way.

:*:

Why is every one talking about the starter motor, and which way it could be wired to spin in whatever direction?

The pinion gear is what maloman001 is talking about.

I know he asked if I could be spinning the wrong way, but the answer to that, is no.

The most likely answer to the problem is that the starter motor is turning too slow.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Trafficjamz wrote:
DENMANSHAFFER wrote:If the starter motor is not assembled correctly, it will spin backwards. It is very easy to assemble it wrong and the pinion will not move out. Try removing the starter and disassembling and turning the cover one bolt. then test by hooking to the battery and see if the pinion comes out and it is spinning the opposite way.

If the starter motor runs backward the bendix (pinion is actually incorrect) the gear will never move out from the rest position is why.
:*:

Why is every one talking about the starter motor, and which way it could be wired to spin in whatever direction?

The pinion gear is what maloman001 is talking about.

I know he asked if I could be spinning the wrong way, but the answer to that, is no.

The most likely answer to the problem is that the starter motor is turning too slow.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

What we know:
I have 84 spree the pinion will not pop out.
Try 2 pinion does the same thing wont crank help

Is your battery fully charged?
Yes it is don't know what to do

Cannot swap rotation of starter externally via wiring
There are no OEM Honda Spree mount starters which rotate in reverse direction.
A mis-assembled starter can rotate in reverse.

A slow turning starter can cause the pinion ('Bendix") to stay retracted and free spin

-- couple more items --
A gummed up Bendix can cause the same issue

Causes of slow turning starter with a good battery:
Bad starter, or electrical feed issue - connections, grounds, starter relay contacts.