Losses some power when hot, possible leak?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Losses some power when hot, possible leak?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

OK, so maybe we should define terms. I assume it's running Badly. Lean and Rich both feel ... Bad. The distinction in "Bad" is found in Operating Temperature (Rich = cooler, Lean = warmer), carbon deposits when rich (on the plug but also anywhere else in contact with spent fuel...), or dry, pale scorched surfaces, Rich = runs better with engine cold (and cooler ambient temps, lower humidity, etc) If you had a stock bystarter, I could see your engine is too lean but runs right as long as the bystarter is adding mixture. But since you have a manual enrichener, and just about every symptom points to rich, it's not clear why you insist it must be lean. A functional temperature gauge would help further diagnose this mystery.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Re: Losses some power when hot, possible leak?

Post by Cmoped9 »

It's running hot it sure seems like, it may have carbon deposit on the plug, but I'm certain it's the new oil. With the yamalube it ran the same way but plug was almost white, not the brown you'd like to see. I've jetted plenty of things before, and it's just odd. It seems like a weird leak making it lean. I'm stumped. I know it's showing symptoms of being rich, but I certainly know it isn't rich. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna fiddle with the jetting, richer and leaner. I'll try and order a new sensor for my temp gauge.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph