Stalling spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Stalling spree

Post by Lunytune »

banshman wrote:I have created a monster.Why dont I try to clean that hole and Ill let everyone know.I have tommorow off and thats first on my list.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
No, just bringing out the best of Bear. :? And in spite of my abused physics, my scooters run.

Back to basics,
1. Compression. I need a 100 psi inspite of what some say that it will run on 70 psi.
2. Ignition. Good blue flame and clean plug, no tracing.
3. Carburetion. Yes, clean that hole.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Lunytune wrote:
banshman wrote:I have created a monster.Why dont I try to clean that hole and Ill let everyone know.I have tommorow off and thats first on my list.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
No, just bringing out the best of Bear. :? And in spite of my abused physics, my scooters run.

Back to basics,
1. Compression. I need a 100 psi inspite of what some say that it will run on 70 psi.
2. Ignition. Good blue flame and clean plug, no tracing.
3. Carburetion. Yes, clean that hole.
On the spark thing. Just because at cranking speed you have a blue spark that will jump the plug gap, a mere .025", does not mean the spark is good. When the engine is running, or even trying to start, the cylinder is under pressure and full of air mixed with fuel and oil. Thereby needing a spark the will jump an minimum of 3/8" and preferably 1/2" to 7/16". You need a test to check this. Admittedly the CDI ignition on these scooters are extremely reliable, but there can be a problem. You can make your own tester or just buy a cheapie at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=4424

or the expensive cheap one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=4445
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
banshman
Noob
Noob

Post by banshman »

The verdict is in! I got home and took the carb off again.I sprayed carb cleaner with straw attached through that tiny hole both ways and got flow.I then check the strainer in the tank which was mint.Sure enough it does NOT stall anymore when I stop.I ripped up and down my street and its mint.I cant believe I never did that before.I still would like to know where the factory sets the air/fuel screw since I was messing with it.I know 1.5 to 2 turns out is average but Im still curious.Thanks for everyones input.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

banshman wrote: .........................I cant believe I never did that before.I still would like to know where the factory sets the air/fuel screw since I was messing with it. I know 1.5 to 2 turns out is average but Im still curious.Thanks for everyones input.

The manual says a 1984 -1986 Spree should be 1 1/2 turns out. Just to give you the whole story, the 1987 is 1 3/8 turns.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Wheelman-111 wrote:...legendary, un-photographable pilot jet...
To the contrary. For some crazy reason, run of the mill digital cameras are quite sensative to even the slightest contrast. I took the below picture just inside the open garage door here in the middle of a bright sunny day in central Florida. I was holding a flashlight with the bulb pointed up, shining the light up through the upside down carb, so that the light shined up through the hole where the throttle cable goes into. My thumb was covering the port where the main jet and emulsion tube normally live. Just to the right of my thumb you can see the light through the pilot jet. It looks like it is dancing because I couldn't hold my right hand still enough while trying to photograph this. This carb has not had anything stuffed into it or cleaned at all, this was how it looked straight off this running bike. To be clear, you cannot see the light through the pilot this easily with the naked eye. The camera picks up the contrast and makes it much more obvious.
Spree idle jet
Spree idle jet
spree_carb.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
-CharlotteSpreeRider
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Good idea and nice photo CharlotteSpreeRider. I have shined lights into the carb looking for that elusive light, and torn apart a carb to find the passage is offset from the pilot jet. Your photo 'shines' :thumbwink:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Just to the right of my thumb you can see the light through the pilot jet.
spree_carb.jpg
-CharlotteSpreeRider
HE SAW THE LIGHT. Wheelz is not crazy, you can see the light.
Well, at least Rider notes that it can't be seen with the naked eye. Nonetheless, he got the photo to prove it and I am now a believer. Guy, I'm sorry I maligned you. :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Dirty Stinkin' Liars

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hey now!! Whaddya mean I'm not crazy?! You're talking about a dude who coulda cured cancer or acne or World Hunger or somethin' had I devoted the same amount of time to activities more constructive than rehabilitating a couple of obsolete 50cc scooters. If that ain't crazy, what is? Anybody got any Haldol? My cat's sprouting wings again... :crazy:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelz, I had to ask my wife about that Haldol. She's a psych nurse, and stays busy trying to keep me from falling off the high wire. :coolcruise:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:
She's a psych nurse, and stays busy trying to keep me from falling off the high wire.
Then you come by your Forum handle honestly. Get her somethin' nice. She has a tough job.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH