1985 Honda Spree will not start. Totally out of ideas!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1985 Honda Spree will not start. Totally out of ideas!

Post by Bear45-70 »

389 wrote:To speedy25: Thanks, yes I really didn't want to participate in all the flames that were going on.......................
I suppose you would rather get bad info that puts you farther behind. If that's your take, you will never get it running. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by 389 »

After reading all the posts and helpful advice I finally decided to remove the head and cylinder. A friend told me if I put a little oil in the cylinder at the plug hole and re-check my compression and if the reading goes up - I have a ring problem. I did and it went from the original 90-98 psi to 120 psi. This means the rings are shot. Sure enough they are! The ring gaps were .120 instead of a max .050 when installed in the cylinder. A little luck though - the cylinder bore is still within spec by over .020! Also only after 2900 miles the piston is worn to maximum limits.
So I have ordered new piston and rings and gaskets!
Thanks everyone who gave advice and were trying to help me!
I'll be back if this doesn't cure my problem!
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

take a pic of the bore and piston and post it
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
brianszubinski
BMX
BMX

Post by brianszubinski »

Good Afternoon!

I am having the exact same problem as it appears you were.

4 weeks ago, bike ran great. The rear shock came loose and the bike fell apart on the road. Now it is all back together, and won't fire.

I have tried everything. Your detail below is exactly what I am going through. Spark plug is soaking wet after hitting the starter for about 3 seconds. Even with the carb off, the plug is still kicking oil mixture up around it. I have checked gas quality, and for spark. All seem fine. Just like you, starter fluid is doing nothing for me, either straight under the plug or in through the carb.

I dismantled yesterday, down to bare minimums. Exhaust, carb, everything basically off. When turning the flywheel by hand, i can hear a PSST noise during a section of 1 full rotation. I don't know if that is an injector or something shooting into the engine, or if that is the sound of me losing compression in the engine.

So, that being all said - I am working on figuring out how to check the compression. I have a couple questions for you. Mine is a 1985 Honda Spree NQ50.

Is checking the compression hard to do? I can't find much online in regards to tutorials, but maybe i am not searching something correctly. Can you explain?

Where did you obtain your engine rebuild kit? You say Chop Chop - is that the company name?

Was the rebuild hard to do? I am fairly savy when it comes to these things, but I have never dismantled into the motor, so it would be all new to me. Was it difficult?

Hopefully you don't mind my picking your brain a bit - I was completely stumped until I saw your posting. Once I read it, It all started to make sense.

Any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated,

Brian
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

First off the only injector is the oil injector and it squirts in to the intake manifold.

Have you done a compression test? If not why not? It tells you if the engine is mechanically sound and spark and fuel will do nothing if you have not enough compression.

Tearing the motor apart without doing the basic test(s) first is foolish and a waste of time and will probably induce more problems into the issue. Just doing something is always wrong. Ether know what you are doing or don't do.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
brianszubinski
BMX
BMX

Post by brianszubinski »

Fair enough Bear. I just went out, bought the compression tester - and cold, with the throttle wide open - i am right at 125-128. From what I have read, that is the normal range correct?

I thought for sure that was the issue. Now I am even more lost. I am intending on swapping out the gas (perhaps its bad, but then again, starting fluid did nothing to get it to turn over), and then swapping out the spark plug.

The one thing mine IS doing, is if i hold on the starter, for about 20 or 30 seconds, it will even POP and attempt to start, but then die right out. That, to me, sounds like a spark plug issue. Would you agree?

Any extra points in the right direction will be helpful.

Thanks!

Brian
brianszubinski
BMX
BMX

Post by brianszubinski »

Last thought for the night, and then I am going to have a beer and forget about it until tomorrow.

If my compression cold starting is 125 and I spray starter fluid directly under the plug and I have spark then the engine will turn over. Is that a true statement? Because if thats the case, it has to be the spark plug. There is great spark when outside of the motor and grounding to the frame, but the only thing of those 3 things I cannot confirm is that this plug is continuing to spark once in the engine.

I wouldn't take the crap brand, and am ordering the NGK for wednesday delivery.

Anyone want to put my mind at ease and confirm that statement above is true?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

First off, NEVER Ever use starting fluid on a 2 stroke. It cleans the oil off the piston and cylinder walls, allowing metal to metal contact. If you want a primer, use gas and oil mixed at 32 to 1

First change the spark plug for a NEW speced in the service manual.

If that does not fix it I suspect one of two things or even both.

Check you spark properly which means make the sparks jump a gap of at least 3/8" and preferably 7/16".

The other is clean your carb again paying extra attention to the idle circuit and the bystarter circuit.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
brianszubinski
BMX
BMX

Post by brianszubinski »

Problem solved Bear. New Spark plug and off I went. Thanks for your help, without it I would have taken it to the shop and probably been scammed a couple hundred. Much appreciated.

Autolite spark plugs suck. For anyone on here having a problem similar - go buy a NGK spark plug. I am not guaranteeing this will fix your problem by any means - but a quality plug you don't have to doubt goes a long way.

Best of luck riding! And Bear, thank you for "Bearing" with me. Pun intended.

Brian