Aero motor into Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

I will test the compression, however, how do I check if the spark plug is firing at the right time?
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

How about a faulty auto bystarter or incorrectly connected on?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

no, it would still tommaro.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

xela_p2004 wrote:I will test the compression, however, how do I check if the spark plug is firing at the right time?
How about a timing light?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

noiseguy wrote:
xela_p2004 wrote:I got the same answer at the total ruckus website, I was told it was possibly a bad or loose ground however. I will look over my wiring again, I just figured if there was spark and fuel and air it should fire.
Yes, you should be getting combustion... you may want to check that the spark is firing when the piston is at TDC. Are you getting a blue spark or a red one? If it's red your plug needs to be replaced (I assume you have a new plug, not something that's been laying around.)

Did the motor run when you removed it from the Aero?
IMO I don't think the spark is off because the mag is on the crank and mounted with a key way. The pick up is set in place with bolts too. So the devices that you would use to alter spark timing is set in place. Ok I take that back the cdi can be used to alter timing too.If is the mag then you have a screwed up crank keyway or mag which doesn't hold on the crank properly. Either way if this is the case just try to get another engine.Check compression. You usually need about 90psi to atleast be able to start the engine.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

So if this mag thing is bad, the engine is bad? How about if the CDI is bad? I can just replace the CDI right? I have a few CDI's to compare it with.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

Iam using a spree CDI, could that be a problem? I have a Aero CDI that I will swap in if ya think that will work.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

Also keep in mind that Iam using the entire Spree harness and CDI.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

the honda cdi's in the american mopeds for spree,aero,87,89, and elite s are all non limiting and all the same.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

they all are limited so the engine dont over rev.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

it is only the japan bikes that have limiting cdi's and that is why they sell the after market cdi's. In what sense do you say the cdi's are limiting. I can get a stroker to almost 11,000 and i know of atleast two guys that get their hondas over 12,000. Almost everyone on the rock uses stock cdi's cause they last the longest. Also the owner on CI in hawaii would also say the same thing that about the american cdi being non limiting even if he is the daytona rep for hawaii and can get other aftermarket cdi's.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If he has spark the CDI is probably fine... I just want him to make sure the spark is hitting when the piston is up.

I think this is a compression problem personally: rings, reed valve, cylinder leaking. Or a vacuum leak.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

noiseguy wrote:If he has spark the CDI is probably fine... I just want him to make sure the spark is hitting when the piston is up.

I think this is a compression problem personally: rings, reed valve, cylinder leaking. Or a vacuum leak.
not necessarily. i have had instances with having spark but it was my regulator or my cdi that was bad. Yet in these instances I had a backfiring or what may seem like a lean surge.Either way it was the cdi or regutalator that did throw off the timing in some sort which made it back fire. In each scenerio i had to change each component on the electrical side one at a time to find the problem.however I too think that it is the latter of what noise guy is saying. compression or reed being broken.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

I will check the easy, CDI an regulater since I have extras, if that doesnt solve the problem I will inspect the reeds and rings. Thanks guys.
xela_p2004
Spree
Spree

Post by xela_p2004 »

What would a healthy set of reeds look like?