Restoring a 1988 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Whats a GPS- go pretty slow?

EDIT- just realised you used mph not kmh.
I'll go and sit my red face in the corner then :oops:
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

198? Honda Spree NQ50M (got parts of two different bike mixed up in there!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

GPS = Global Positioning System It uses satellites to tell you where you are, what direction you are going and how fast you are doing it. It's what the military uses to put missiles thru window of buildings. It is very accurate. Whereas speedos care iffy at best.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

I know- I was trying to be cheeky about your speed and then realised the units ie mph were not what I thought they were.

I'll just stick to the scooter fixing in future and leave the funnies to the comedians.

PS It is cool watching missile cam when they park one through a window only slightly bigger than the missile fins isnt it? :D
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Storm wrote:I know- I was trying to be cheeky about your speed and then realised the units ie mph were not what I thought they were.

I'll just stick to the scooter fixing in future and leave the funnies to the comedians.

PS It is cool watching missile cam when they park one through a window only slightly bigger than the missile fins isnt it? :D
Use this to indicate a funny next time. Image or this Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Bear45-70 wrote:GPS = Global Positioning System It uses satellites It is very accurate. Whereas speedos care iffy at best.
I agree, though some in the maritime world don't. They - being of old sckrewel - believe an instrument connected to a mechanical wheel via a twirly wire in a piece of spaghetti yields better results.

In some ways, they might be right. For one thing, GPS uses timing signals which are interpolated by a computer which, in turn, spits out a digital reading. Speed of a vessel is relative to the the satellites' 'viewpoint,' not that of the floor of the ocean. Hence - 'speed over ground.'

Second, currents don't always bear against a vessel in exact angular planes; errors in interpolation can occur because of them.

But finally - and most importantly - I've used both. In every case, every instance, and in virtually ALL applications, me olde GPS units concur, agree with, and reflect the same durn data the dial with the twirly wheel do.

Thanks for letting me waste a few moments of your time. :lol:

CaptDan
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

I shall consider myself enlightened then.
:P

vinnie
BMX
BMX

Post by vinnie »

Hey Storm,

I'm a kiwi doing up a Nifty 50 as well (I'm pretty sure we've already talked on kiwibiker :D)

You probably already know, but there are a million Nifty 50 parts available on trademe, just make sure you search for "nifty fifty" as well as "nifty 50". Econohonda and scootling.co.nz does new parts as well.

Also, don't know where you live but there's a complete nifty 50 sitting at $55 on trademe at the moment (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 319013.htm)

I'd be really interested in seeing your scooter when it's completely restored so make sure you post pics when you're done :D

You're d*** lucky to get a Nifty 50 with such good condition plastics! Is that the one that you inherited?
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

d***, I could have got a running one for $20 bucks less :( DOH!!!!
Yeah, the red one is what I inherited. Guess the wife wont let me buy another one "just for parts" :) :D

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Will be left alone with the garage this weekend so hoping to make a decent attempt at acheiving ignition.
Will be posting pics once all is back together , after all, thats why I started the thread as a "see what I did and nick the ideas and hints" guide for other restorer types out there.
Bike is currently sans plastic as I removed them all for cleaning/repairs.
I'm hanging out for the day I can take complete running and shiny pictures.
Then it'll be thread # 2- how can I make it "go fast and handle good" :D:D

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Just been out to the shed and have established that I have compression.
I have also adjusted the air fuel screw to the recommended level ( 1 7/8 turns out from full in), loosened off the idle fully, and yet I am still flooding rhe chamber each time. Even with one press of the button, the plug is immediatly sopping wet.
How can I fix this/ what is the problem?
Carb?
Bystarter?
Something else?
:?:

Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Have you checked that you get a nice blue spark with the spark plug out of the engine and grounded to the frame?

If you have a spark maybe its time to pull out the reeds and make sure they look OK.

After that, I'd be inclined to think the carb is delivering way too much gas due to perhaps (take your choice)
* damaged pilot jet
* worn main jet or needle
* wrong float height

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Yep, I've got a nice blue spark. Will whip the reeds out this weekend.
How should I go about the adjusting of the float level?

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Pulled the carby apart again to check the float, all was well and in good condition. I also looked through the owner manual and checked the bystarter which was within tolerance(eg 5 ohms out of a maximum allowale value of 10 ohms) the reeds are in good nick with no ragged edges and they move freely.

I'm starting to run out of ideas here-no matter how lean I try to run the carb, the plug still comes out wet after 1 crank of the starter.

Is there a possibilty of too much oil being drawn in after the carb?if so, how do I check for it and adjust the flow level?

Any help gratefully recieved

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Storm wrote:Pulled the carby apart again to check the float, all was well and in good condition. I also looked through the owner manual and checked the bystarter which was within tolerance(eg 5 ohms out of a maximum allowale value of 10 ohms) the reeds are in good nick with no ragged edges and they move freely.

I'm starting to run out of ideas here-no matter how lean I try to run the carb, the plug still comes out wet after 1 crank of the starter.

Is there a possibilty of too much oil being drawn in after the carb?if so, how do I check for it and adjust the flow level?

Any help gratefully recieved
The carb doesn't draw oil its injected right beofre the reeds. Most of the pumps leak a little in the crank and cause smokey startups. you just need to get it going long enough to pull the crap though. holding it with pliers get the tip of the plug glowing red with a torch, quickly and carefully put it in and try starting. Have you tried a new plug? Sometimes they look and function fine outside but under compression is a different story.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

I realise the oil is drawn after the carb-my bad for not making it clearer. I was just wondering if there is a way to set the oil flow.

Unfortunatly I have no access to a torch,and the new spark plug I bought has a bigger tip than the plug cap will accept!