CH-80 wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

CH-80 wont start

Post by slosquirrel »

Long story short, this guy asked me to work on his ch80 that ran, but wouldn't go. Local shop said a min of $200 to even look at it! I didnt have time, or even know the guy, but he saw me outside my garage with all my scooters and asked if I would be interested, I said yes like an idiot! He gave me a $20 down payment, less than I make in an hour at my internship, so it's really not worth it, but just trying to help out a fellow scooter rider.

I pulled off the cover and found a shredded belt wrapped up around the rear clutch. Found a belt on ebay for cheap, spent like two hours removing the bits and pieces of the shredded one, and putting on the new one (which I paid for out of pocket). It has been sitting for a while at this point (family death, catching up on school,finals, and now 45+ hour work week).

It started when it first got to my house with the help of a battery charger, but after sitting for 6 weeks, I got it all put together and will barely turn over even with the battery charger hooked up? Placed my buddies brand new battery in it from his CH80, and it gave me the same results!

It will turn over, but only very slowly and in increments? When it does turn over, it sounds like It will make on cycle, then pause for a few seconds, then turn over again. I think the starter might be the problem?

Please help guys! Im so over this thing, and have A LOT of projects to do of my own right now.

Why does no good deed go unpunished?
2003---Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2001---Yamaha WR 426 Supermoto (CA legal)
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1996---Honda Elite SR (Only 4.7 Orig. Miles)
1989---Honda Elite E (FOR SALE)
1987---Honda Elite SE
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Re: CH-80 wont start

Post by slosquirrel »

One more thing (before there is even a reply to my original post).

I know starting fluid is a no-no on all of my two-stroke 50cc scooters... Is that the same case with this thing?
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1987---Honda Elite SE
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I think the reason for the starter fluid taboo is that smokers get all their lube from the intake. Solvents break it down. Not so much a problem with separate sumps on 4-strokers, but starter fluid doesn't resolve whatever's preventing it from starting normally.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Post by slosquirrel »

Wheelman:

That does make sense, that and the reeds getting f'd, but since 4-strokes dont have 'em, I figured that I was free and clear.

What do you guys think though? Is the starter the problem? Im gonna go work on it when I get off work at 5 (home by 5:30ish), this is assuming that I have the energy and patience (I wake up at 4:30 so that I can get here by 6:00).

I really want to just hand the thing back to him. When I get off of work I will talk to him, if he gives me any flack I will tell him to pick the thing up, give him back his $20, and tell him the belt was a gift.

In case you cant tell im at the end of my rope. My Motard is in pieces, the V-Strom needs some maintenance, my '99 is running like s***, the 87 is in pieces, and I need to sell my '89 E, and a '90 FZR.

I have way to much on my plate, and would much rather work on stuff that I will enjoy. I told the guy that the CH80 wasn't my specialty! :(
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1987---Honda Elite SE