Boiling the carb?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

christle
Noob
Noob

Re: Boiling the carb?

Post by christle »

OK... After four attempts and about 2 1/2 hours of boiling, I finally could spray carb cleaner through the little tiny port of *! It was 11:30 at night and still, I put it back together and hooked it back up and... my son stole the last bit of gas out of my gas can for his stupid four wheeler!!!! So I will get to see how everything goes this evening!

*sigh*
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

christle wrote:OK... After four attempts and about 2 1/2 hours of boiling, I finally could spray carb cleaner through the little tiny port of *! It was 11:30 at night and still, I put it back together and hooked it back up and... my son stole the last bit of gas out of my gas can for his stupid four wheeler!!!! So I will get to see how everything goes this evening!
*sigh*
Stole your gas? That's grounds for corporal punishment. :shock: Especially at a time like this. "Don't mess with Momma's gas!" We're waiting for a report. I'm anxious for you.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

My daddy would have beat me for stealing gas, buy him a 2 gallon can and tell him to buy his own.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
christle
Noob
Noob

Post by christle »

Ahhh, at almost midnight, I wanted to beat him- I truly wanted to. The 2 gallon can we have was pretty much all his before I got the Spree (which was only 3 weeks ago). He just wasn't used to sharing- He's only 11 so he can't really go get his own but after yesterday morning- I bet 1/2 gallon will be his new version of "gas can's empty!"

I got carb cleaner through the tiny hole which was the goal butttt- I still have some issues.

Now, tiny hole clean, I have a good bit more power than I did before but there is still more when the air box cover is cracked, fully open of off doesn't give me any more (air filter in though)...
Before the hole was cleared, even the filter would take all of my power... I'm thinking hard-
Tonight I am trying a new spark plug to replace my new spark plug from all of the carb testing, starting, idling, revving (and possbily close to flooding) prior to clearing the hole.

I'll keep you updated on its' progress and any ideas/suggestions are always appreciated!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

:) Buy the boy his own can and when you go to the station, fill both, and tell him to stay out of yours. Times have changed. By the time I was his age, I was in and out of a full service station, helping my dad pump gas, air tires, check the oil, etc.

More power? What are you complaining about. Sounds like my wife. She has an Elite E, same NQ50 as your Spree. But she hates red. So I bought her a Powder Blue Eite SA50, motor died, rebuilt with 6mm overbore. She hates it. Prefers her wimpy NQ50, even if it is red. We have noticed that seat is shorter and fits her 5'2" frame better. It weighs 90lb and the SA50 weighs 140lb.

I don't know what to tell you to tone it down. Put the cover back on to keep things clean and learn to live with the power.
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Lunytune,I'm fairly sure this woman wants MORE POWER!!!!! Scotty, I NEED MORE POWER !!!!! Carp...ps,better clean those reading glasses
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Carp, I cleaned my glasses, but it didn't help. However, It helped me "see" :shock: that she is "trying a new spark plug to replace (her) new spark plug". I guess I'll just wait until tonight for a report. :|
christle
Noob
Noob

Post by christle »

I meant that when I crack the airbox lid, it has more power! I want this power when it is properly in place.

With the air box shut and sealed it has less power.

Before I cleaned the carb, it had absolutely no power, if I put the filter on/in. Now I get power, but only about half of what I get when I crack the airbox. Removing the airbox lid completely doesn't help any more than just a 1/3 of an inch crack- it reacts the same to crack or full removal.

Oh and I meant "a new spark plug to replace my new spark plug" because age-wise the spark plug that is in there is brand new buuutttt- I have given it * with all the carb trial and error!

So "a newer one" is a better description- sorry about that!

I didn't get a chance to work on it much last night, but I did start it and let it idle about 10 minutes while I cleaned my carport :P Stupid household chores getting in the way of my Spree-Play!

Thanks for everything guys- Let me know what you think about the air- I have tightened all my clamps, hoses look good, oil pump has been taken out and , inspected, tightened (not too tight), and it pumps. I cleaned the air filter. I have adjusted idle/timing in the order that seems to be agreed upon here. Idle is perfect. I know I'm overlooking something!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Christle, you're a good natured gal and can roll with the punches. I like that. I understood the spark plug, just ribbing you. But was mistaken on the power. You see, my wife likes her little NQ-50, and honestly doesn't like the SA-50 I built up for her, because of the power.

Power is a subjective thing. But if you seriously think there is more to be had, it's time to call in the gurus.
jimmyizdman
Noob
Noob

Post by jimmyizdman »

If you can find an ultra sonic cleaning tub the carb will fit into and leave it for a while it will open the little jet. Use a proper solvent for the tub, but don't use the wife's jewelry cleaner without permission.

Another option is MEK about $20-$25 a gallon at Home Depot. Use it in a well vented area. It has a reasonable flashpoint and evaporation rate, but be safe. MEK will remove dry automotive paint in minutes. It will destroy plastic and rubber. I don't recall any of this that cannot be removed in the carb, but be sure. I have used it with no trouble. Be careful and wear gloves. It may need to soak for a while to soften the varnish.

Use an old guitar wire to poke the hole. Be gentle. Needle nose pliers in the throat can help force in the wire without bending. Keep at it soaking, poking and using compressed air and it will clear.
christle
Noob
Noob

Post by christle »

Guys!?

I just thought to ask this- Will you get the guitar wire through?

I read somewhere that the passage is dog-legged, no light will be seen through it and the only way to know it is clear is to spray carb cleaner through it. I got carb cleaner through it after all that boiling and poking- but that wire only goes so far on each side- even now. Do you think I have it partialy clogged? Could this be it?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

christle wrote:Guys!?
I just thought to ask this- Will you get the guitar wire through?

I read somewhere that the passage is dog-legged, no light will be seen through it and the only way to know it is clear is to spray carb cleaner through it. I got carb cleaner through it after all that boiling and poking- but that wire only goes so far on each side- even now. Do you think I have it partialy clogged? Could this be it?
Guys? :?: There you go, turned sexist on us. :? There is at least one other girl in the room you know (bettysuegirl). :mrgreen:
That was probably my post you were reading, as I've said that. If you think you've got it partially cleaned (so the glass is half full, not half empty), try putting a bit of Seafoam in the tank and just drive it a few days. Go by directions, don't put in too much. One can will last a long time for small engine use, but you can share with your son for his ATV. It is great for dissolving varnish. It won't do much for rust or carbon, but varnish is usually the culprit.

Also, back to your air box. Make sure it's clean (no dirtdobber nests, etc) and clean the foam filter while you're at it. I'm suspecting a restriction there.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

christle wrote:That the passage is dog-legged, no light will be seen through it and the only way to know it is clear is to spray carb cleaner through it
I've found that the wire will not go through, it bottoms out in the carb housing. Reason is just as you read, the passage is offset in the housing. Tore apart a scrap '85 Aero carb for this pic, but have seen the offset passage in other Honda carbs.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

mousewheels, thanks for scotching me on that. The aero carb is a bit different, but that's the same itty bitty hole that is the culprit, and yes it is offset.

This passageway is often overlooked. Guys... and gals... will Gunk or boil a carburetor, flush every obvious place with carb cleaner, and still overlook this hole. Anymore, it's the last thing I flush when I gunk a carb, because the others are the easiest, but I give it the most attention. When somebody tells me they've cleaned the carb 3-4 times and still having same problem... I know what has happened.

I know I beat this drum a lot, but there's a reason.
christle
Noob
Noob

Post by christle »

Lunytune wrote: Guys? :?: There you go, turned sexist on us. :? There is at least one other girl in the room you know (bettysuegirl)... Also, back to your air box. Make sure it's clean (no dirtdobber nests, etc) and clean the foam filter while you're at it. I'm suspecting a restriction there.
In this thread I didn't see her name but I'm glad to know she's out there!
*waves* Hi, bettysuegirl!

The air filter and box are clean! I wish they weren't; it would make things so much easier! I cleaned the actual filter with these instructions: http://m.1asphost.com/spreerepairing/airfil.htm

If you have a chance take a look, let me know if you think the aren't up to par.

I will try some seafoam... I have read about it already but didn't want to jump to it until one of you that I trusted actually recommended it!

Thanks for all of your help!
Christle