clutch?...piston ring?....gnomes?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

maxhog
Noob
Noob

clutch?...piston ring?....gnomes?

Post by maxhog »

Hey Folks, Im trying to get an 86 spree on its feet at the moment and im thinking I may have a clutch problem. Actually this post is hear so someone can maybe tell me that i dont need a new clutch but infat some small inexpensive part. Step one in my rebuild was to clean the carbs and fine all new gaskets....Done. The engine sounds great and seems powerful on the center stand but as soon as i sit on it it crawls at about 1mph. I checked the pressure by putting some oil under the spark plug and now i can scoot along at 1.5 mph. does this mean its probably not bad rings. How much oil should i have dropped in?

You might want to know that the scoot has flat tires which i bet is really restricting my speed. Also the gas is old, might it not be as explosive as it should be? these two issues wil be fixed tonight
thanks, max
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re: clutch?...piston ring?....gnomes?

Post by wiguy05 »

2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
maxhog
Noob
Noob

Post by maxhog »

thank you wig
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Oil down the plug hole is just to wet out the rings and seal any micro-gaps that might be reducing compression measurements. I've always said a teaspoon.

Flat tires certainly will reduce speed but it should at least try to go. If thry're really flat, don't run it or you'll be buying new tires along with tubes.

Symptoms you mention could be almost anything. Stuck or too-tight brake? The clutch isn't all that hard to disassemble and examine...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

maxhog wrote:thank you wig
LOL, had to :P

But really, I'd start by draining/replacing the fuel and fully inflating the tires.

From there I'd do a compression check and inspect the belt for wear (or flat spots).
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
maxhog
Noob
Noob

Post by maxhog »

Brakes are good, the wheels spin freely, does anyone have any pics of a dissasembled clutch
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

maxhog wrote:I checked the pressure by putting some oil under the spark plug and now i can scoot along at 1.5 mph. does this mean its probably not bad rings.
no, it means it is not worn rings. with worn rings you would notice a big difference. It does not rule out bad rings because the oil does not really affect a broken ring.
Does it start hard or pop right off? If you push it to get a little momentum will it stay there or bog out?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

wiguy05 wrote:Image
Now that is just creapy! But sure would make for a great practical joke. Could you imagine coming out of your house in the morning and seeing all of those staring at you? I think I would just go back inside and try to sleep it off some more!

Sorry to hijack your post
maxhog
Noob
Noob

Post by maxhog »

It starts up right away. just a kick or two, electric start is far gone. I will take apart the clutch and belt tonight and put up some pics for opinions
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Flat tires wont help.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Flat tires wont help.
But they don't account for only 1.5mph top speed (trust me, I have run scoots on just the rim before)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Fishman, if you see all them Gnomes first thing in the morning, it might make you stop drinking... or start... :?

maxhog, I'm denseheaded so let's make sure I understand you. It starts and seems to have power as far as the motor goes... but it doesn't move the scooter along...

I'd be looking at the belt. As you're doing that, you get to look at the drive pulley which should be your next inspection.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

maxhog wrote:It starts up right away. just a kick or two, electric start is far gone. I will take apart the clutch and belt tonight and put up some pics for opinions
typically you see hard starting with low compression. before taking the clutch apart, see if the belt is riding all the way up the drive pully face (with the cover off, make sure the electric starter is not going to come out and engage or bad things will happen).
MIkex24
BMX
BMX

Post by MIkex24 »

check your reeds
maxhog
Noob
Noob

Post by maxhog »

MIkex24 wrote:check your reeds
ok reeds are good, or they looked tottaly fine when i took apart the carb.
Lunytune wrote:Fishman, if you see all them Gnomes first thing in the morning, it might make you stop drinking... or start... :?

maxhog, I'm denseheaded so let's make sure I understand you. It starts and seems to have power as far as the motor goes... but it doesn't move the scooter along...

I'd be looking at the belt. As you're doing that, you get to look at the drive pulley which should be your next inspection.
lunytune, and everyone, i took the metal side cover off revealing the "belt" and the "clutch", Maybe. I couldnt get the clutch apart but when i spun it it seemed to act like a centrifugal clutch should.
I know i promised pics but i cant find the cable that connects to the comp.
Any way the belt that i saw with all those teeth looked fine. no flat spots? whats my next move? should i try and get the clutch apart. Go to an auto store and borrow a compression tester?, do they have those? (this is the hardest step because the spree is obviously in shamples and my XJ 650 had a seizure this morning.