86 Spree dies under load

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

starsnbars
Goped
Goped

86 Spree dies under load

Post by starsnbars »

I have an 86 spree that just does not want to run right anymore. It starts great and stays running while on the kickstand. Whenever I go to ride it, i take off but after about 5 seconds, it starts making a popping sound and starts dieing out. I can place my feet on the ground to take some weight off and then it starts running better. The carb was just cleaned and reassembled, the muffler has been cleaned and is getting good flow, I put in a brand new spark plug, I put an air bubble in the clear oil line and it was moving along like normal with the oil so thats good, I can suck through the vaccuum line of the petcock and gas comes out into the carb. The only thing I haven't checked is compression, but if it starts on the first kick and I can rev it on the stand could this be a problem? I took the new spark plug out after revving it on the stand for about a minute and trying to drive it and it came out white, although I don't think i ran it long enough to get a good chop reading. Am I running too lean? What could be the problem?
Wheelman-111

Re: 86 Spree dies under load

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

How was it running before the recent work?

The symptoms sound consistent with an air leak. Carefully check the carb insulator 0-rings and any other possible causes of unwanted air intake. I found a little fume from an unlit propane torch works. If the idle speed changes (Up..) you've found your leak. You can also spray brake or carb cleaner at the suspected source. The solvent/propellent acts as a replacement for lacking fuel.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

It was running like this before I cleaned everything, and thought I'd clean the usual problem areas before posting. I'll try the torch method to check for leaks. Although, I can rev the engine to full throttle on the stand and when I let off the rpm's drop pretty quick. With an intake leak, wouldn't the engine slowly come down from high rpm back to idle? Also how would the leak affect driving under load vs. revving on the stand which it can do fine?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

You did not mention anything about your air filter. Do you have one on? Is it clean?
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

Yes i have an air filter and it is only a few months old. Would a carb cleaner spray work to find a leak instead of a propane torch?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings

Yes others use carb cleaner or brake cleaner, but propane is cheap and easy - like myself I might add - , leaves the scene of the crime instantly and can't continue burning on your engine cases after you're done spraying, should something go wrong. Any high-volatility solvent-containing spray should work , but propane is a gas and thus perhaps is inhaled and ignites easier.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH