Bigger jet needed in modified Spree??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Animal Chin
Noob
Noob

Bigger jet needed in modified Spree??

Post by Animal Chin »

Hello,

I recently bought a "44mm big bore" kit for my Spree and it came with a new jet. When I installed it, the engine would not accelerate. I put in my old jet and the Spree runs fine. A friend of mine said that even though it runs fine I could be damaging the engine. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue. My new jet says 95 while the old one said 55. Thanks for any input.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Bigger jet needed in modified Spree??

Post by bradthreee »

Ebay seller *chop*chop*123 aka tazland001 sells those kits and its well documented that the main jets he sends with his kits are in fact too big!

The only way to really figure out which jet size would be appropriate with your set-up would be to buy various sizes that you can try and read the plug.

You should have a nice cardboard color when proper air fuel mixture is achieved.

Your friend is right about what he said. I personally would not leave the stock 65 jet in there after the big bore install as you will probably be running lean. Maybe start with a 75 and work around that. If the plug is too light then upjet (increase jet size). If the plug is too dark then downjet (decrease jet size)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Since Honda has a ready-made 78, I suggest you start with that. No direct information except from another Forum Denizen who's got the same BBK as yours. The part number is available from Honda:

99101-187-0780

It may be a bit rich, if anything, which isn't a bad way to break in. If it won't accept throttle or burbles at the low end, you may get it to work by moving the needle clip to the top position. Do as B3 suggests, don't abuse the throttle and pull the plug frequently to check. If it's white, order up an 85 or an 82 and try one of those.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Its better to run rich than run lean, sparkplugs are FAR cheaper than a new bore kit.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.