Gas Gauge

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeFree
Noob
Noob

Gas Gauge

Post by SpreeFree »

On my 1986 Honda Spree, the gas gauge has always read Full since I bought it. Im trying to figure out the source of this problem, I recently took off the side panels and notices that coming off of the gas gauge wires, there are actually 3 wires. Two of the three are connected properly, but the third, which is blue is just hanging off and connected to nothing, is this the possible source?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Gas Gauge

Post by mousewheels »

The 1986 Spree needs a 3 wire sensor in the tank. 85 and below had 2 wire, and there's not a simple wiring change to make it work, the dash gauge side is different too. I think reading stuck 'Full' is consistent with others findings. There is a Spree service manual, which will have wiring diagrams on this site.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You can wire it to read half scale, buts its worthless that way. I just leave it unhooked, been meaning to apply 12 volts to the gauge and bring the needle to empty.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You can wire it to read half scale, buts its worthless that way. I just leave it unhooked, been meaning to apply 12 volts to the gauge and bring the needle to empty.
That means you have to either take a can with you, or fill the tank every 20 miles. :? Best to fix the gauge.

SpreeFree, hang with mousewheels. He'll get you fixed or die trying.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Lunytune wrote:That means you have to either take a can with you, or fill the tank every 20 miles. :? Best to fix the gauge.
I just keep a small 6" stick under the seat, marked "E" & "F". You find "E" by running it out of gas (that's the hard part). It's about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank. I know that's a lazy solution, but it's how we always measure fuel in when flying homebuilt airplanes when not sure how much gas is really on board in the wing tanks.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Just bought be a new Spree last Friday. Former owner told me don't let it get below 1/4 tank or it would quit. This morning my biker babe and I took a short tour. Gauge read 3/4 tank when we started. It died before we got back to the campground, so she took my Elite and sent my son back with gas can. It took quite a bit although it was not empty. When filled, gauge still read 3/4 tank. So I guess it's time to do two things.
1. Fix the gauge. New battery is already in order, so consistent voltage might help that.
2. Pull the in-tank filter which is probably plugged in bottom part, and install in-line filter.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes