1986 spree stored in garage for 15 years won't start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dragon
Noob
Noob

1986 spree stored in garage for 15 years won't start

Post by Dragon »

Just acquired a 1986 Spree that's been stored unused in a garage for 15 years. It was stored with gas, oil, etc. still in the thing.

I put in brand new spark plug, oil, gas, and battery. I used Quaker two cycle oil--is that the same thing as "two stroke" oil that the manual suggests? I think so.

I also cleaned the air filter quite thoroughly and re-oiled it.

Anyway, the thing won't start. It kinda starts a bit, but then it sputters and dies after about five seconds. If I give it any gas at all, it dies immediately (not after five seconds).

I guessed this was from some gunk in the carb, so I bought a can of aerosol carb cleaner. I took out the air filter spongy thing and sprayed a little spray down into the chamber that leads to the carb. Guess what? It started nicely. It even revved up for a bit, but then it died again after about 12 seconds. Then I sprayed some more in there and let my son rev the gas while I continued to spray a little squirt about every five seconds, and together we got this thing going great--until I stopped spraying the carb cleaner--then it died again. It also put out a huge amount of smoke during this process.

Then I thought maybe the muffler is plugged so I removed it entirely. That made no difference. Same status--it will start for a few seconds but then it dies, and if I give it any gas at all, it dies instantly.

What do you think is wrong with the thing? If you're going to say to me "take the carburator apart and clean it out" (as I'm guessing you're going to say), then is there anyplace I can find some instructions for doing that. I'm not really a mechanic--not at all.
Thanks.
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

Yes it sounds like your carb does need to be cleaned. If you go to the technical doucuments, it has a forum that will tell you step by step how to clean your carb and that should help you.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Yeah you have to take the carb off and take it apart. Unscrew the jets and clean everything good with carb cleaner. I am sure the jets are blocked with that gas sitting in there that long. It turns to almost like varnish after sitting for a long time.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Just a precaution, trying to constantly spray starter fluid while revving your engine to keep it a running is slow death. the engine is not meant to run on such an explosive mixture, and it results in carbon buildup on piston and head.

As for carb, after 15yrs in storage thats your best bet. Just remember to drain it before cleaning.

O btw, it could be the fuel petcock, located right under fuel tank. If thats not letting fuel pass through, that would result in your motor only starting on starter fluid. just food for thought.
projects galore :nerd:
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

it had gas in the tank... rusty tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dragon
Noob
Noob

Fuel Petcock

Post by Dragon »

I took off the fuel petcock and nearly nothing goes through it. Is there a way to recondition it somehow, or do I just have to find a new one somewhere?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You removed the petcock and nothing came out? Your tank and filter are full of rust. Read up on tank cleaning in tech docs.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I think he mean nothing was going threw the petcock.

You can try soaking it in fuel, but I doubt that would fix it. It's probably corroded, you should get a new one, $35 brand new at dealer.

And yeh if no gas is flowing through the bottom of the tank, you need to fix that.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i feel happy to be right, is this how u guys feel all the time... wow its great i should be rigth more often
Dragon
Noob
Noob

bad petcock

Post by Dragon »

Sorry about the ambiguous post. Yes, I meant nothing was going through the petcock. I took it off and filled it up with carb cleaner from the top of the thing and none of the carb cleaner went through the petcock to the bottom. Then I poked through the puddle and there was what seemed to be a spring loaded gasket of some kind in there. When I poked it, the fluid went through.
No, the tank is not too rusty. In fact, I've siphoned out the tank and re-filled it about six times now and each time I siphon it out there is nearly nothing but gas. Maybe a few minute specks of rust, but nothing that would be a primary cause of failure.
The fuel filter did not come out with the petcock but I snagged it with a needle nose and yanked it out. It was pretty clean--only the slightest bit of solids.
I really think the problem has something to do with the springy mechanism inside the petcock. I'll work on that and get back to you.
THanks
Justinsane
Spree
Spree

Post by Justinsane »

just take it out and put the filter in there, make sure its snug and your good to go.
General Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: bad petcock

Post by burnt_toast »

Dragon wrote:Sorry about the ambiguous post. Yes, I meant nothing was going through the petcock. I took it off and filled it up with carb cleaner from the top of the thing and none of the carb cleaner went through the petcock to the bottom. Then I poked through the puddle and there was what seemed to be a spring loaded gasket of some kind in there. When I poked it, the fluid went through.
No, the tank is not too rusty. In fact, I've siphoned out the tank and re-filled it about six times now and each time I siphon it out there is nearly nothing but gas. Maybe a few minute specks of rust, but nothing that would be a primary cause of failure.
The fuel filter did not come out with the petcock but I snagged it with a needle nose and yanked it out. It was pretty clean--only the slightest bit of solids.
I really think the problem has something to do with the springy mechanism inside the petcock. I'll work on that and get back to you.
THanks
pocking the petcock breaks the diagram.. this is what i did too, in the process of cleaning it. :lol: once the diagram is gone, its time for a new petcock.
Dragon
Noob
Noob

Petcock supplier?

Post by Dragon »

OK, I went ahead and rebuilt the carburetor. I even bought the kit with the gaskets. I figured that was cheaper than the petcock, so I ought to try it first. It was a bit dirty, but no big deal. I reinstalled it and there is no change at all. So, I'm convinced now it's the petcock. Can't be anything else.

Went to Honda dealer and he wants $55 for the petcock. Ugh. Anyone know of a better supplier? I think I want a new one. Seems from reading other posts that these valves go south very frequently, so I'm not too keen on a used one.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Actually sounds like the petcock is fine. You are aware that you need to be sucking a vacuum on the lower hose to get fuel flow, right? You can use a might-mite vac pump, or your own lungs for this. Poking the petcock will let the fuel through; if you shove something sharp through it you will break it. You're not running b/c your carb has no fuel.

Did you try removing it and immersing it in gas for a few days? Worked on mine.

Try those first, if it still doesn't work you can rig up the one you have for nearly free. I'll tell you how after you've tried them. You would rather it worked, this can be a fire hazards, and tends to lead to plugged up carbs.

Your idle jet sounds plugged, BTW. Do a search on "idle jet" for it's location. I guarentee it's plugged.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Dragon
Noob
Noob

Plugged Idle Jet

Post by Dragon »

OK, Noiseguy. I'm starting to think you're right. Took the carb apart again. I can see light through two jets--the main jet and the choke jet (I don't know if those are the real names). There is a little jet about a centimeter from the main jet. I don't know where it's supposed to lead. Am I supposed to see light through that one also? Or does it make a turn somewhere in there? I cannot see light through the little tiny jet. Is that the idle jet?

I've soaked carb overnight--still can't see the light. I don't have access to any compressed air. Would that make a difference? I suppose I can go get a can of the stuff. Or would it make more sense to just wait longer? Or should I stick a little needle down in there? What's the best method?
Thanks