Reed valve seat stuck

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Reed valve seat stuck

Post by GoodDerf »

So long story short my spree quit on me and I am trying to figure out what is wrong. Right now I have the carb off and cleaned, so I decided with the carb off I might as well take a look at the reeds. However it seems that seat valve is sealed via a caulking in place. Is this normal? If it isn't any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the reeds.

*Edit*
I figured out it happened to be gelatinous grease :oops:
Wheelman-111

Soaked & Baked

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes it's normal. Paper gaskets soaked in oil, then repeatedly baked at 350 degrees over 20 years. Very effective glue.

Do not pry this fiber block; it's frightfully easy to break. Run a razor knife around it and see if you can get a corner to budge. No force.

You'll need replacement gaskets when you reinstall. Grease them with hi-temp grease and never replace again.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
GoodDerf
Goped
Goped

Re: Reed valve seat stuck

Post by GoodDerf »

Thank you very much, my next question I guess would be any idea where I could get these gaskets?
Wheelman-111

Honda Dealer or Self-Slice

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check your model at MeCycles.com, note the gasket part number.

Call Honda-san and read it to parts dude. They like it when you can avoid them work. They should be able to get them in 2 days.

If not buy a sheet of gasket paper at the Auto Parts store and get busy with scissors, X-Acto knife and a paper punch. Trace the manifold and the block for a template.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH