86 spree no power. need some answers please.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

critter101
Noob
Noob

86 spree no power. need some answers please.

Post by critter101 »

I have an 86 spree NQ50. Has new belt, air filter, cleaned carb, new rings and gaskets. It runs great. Starts good and tops out around 30mph. The only thing I don't understand is I can put my feet on the ground, go full throttle and hold it there in one place with not much effort at all. The engines revs some and sounds as if it is trying to "pull" but just doesn't seem to have the power to take off. I've had other scooters and never could I hold one there at full throttle with my feet until this spree. It just seems to me to have no low end power at all. It is very slow taking off and will not climb hills or slows way way down by the time I crest a hill. I would think if the clutch were slipping I would get engine reving as it slipped. I am out of guesses as to what could be the prob. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me out or is this normal for the spree? I have looked at the clutch and the pads do seem wore but I do not know the specs of what they should be before considered wore out. Thanks for any help offered.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: 86 spree no power. need some answers please.

Post by hondaman »

Replace thre pads and put in a new belt.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You have a 49.9cc engine, AKA no power , especially no low speed power and one speed transmission with a clutch system that requires the scooter to be moving to lock up. That slipping is the only thing that allows the scooter to get moving from a dead stop. Your scooter is working normally and has a normal top speed too. The Spree is cheap and ancient technology.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
critter101
Noob
Noob

Post by critter101 »

I'm not convinced that the performance from my spree is "normal" as in "that's the way they were made." I have had several other 50cc scooters with the same "centrifugal clutch" setup that had more power on take off than the spree. I know for a fact that it is slowly getting worse. There was a hill I've climbed before that I cannot climb today & I can tell it is more sluggish on takeoff than previous times. I will prob. go ahead and replace the clutch pads. It has a new belt on it. Thankyou very much for your input.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

critter101 wrote:I'm not convinced that the performance from my spree is "normal" as in "that's the way they were made." I have had several other 50cc scooters with the same "centrifugal clutch" setup that had more power on take off than the spree. I know for a fact that it is slowly getting worse. There was a hill I've climbed before that I cannot climb today & I can tell it is more sluggish on takeoff than previous times. I will prob. go ahead and replace the clutch pads. It has a new belt on it. Thankyou very much for your input.

Gee, a first time scooter expert. My 1986 Spree does 27 mph at sea level and I've had the thing since 1986. So I would guess you are wrong. Back when these things were built, a moped, by law, had to be less than 50cc, go less than 30 mph to be legal to be registered as a moped. Guess what?, that's exactly what the manufactures built.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Replace those pads and let us know if it made a difference.
critter101
Noob
Noob

Post by critter101 »

O.K. I replaced the clutch pads and the springs. Made a WORLD of difference. Runs like a scalded dog. Oh, sorry growling grizzly bear dude I hope I didn't insult your intelligence. :naughty: For somebody who acts like a self righteous, self proclaimed, head full, know it all you sure missed this one by a mile. Apparently I'm more of a "first time scooter expert" than you thought so where does that leave you since you sure didn't have a clue & acted like I was the one that was clueless :smile: ??????
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

critter101 wrote:O.K. I replaced the clutch pads and the springs. Made a WORLD of difference. Runs like a scalded dog. Oh, sorry growling grizzly bear dude I hope I didn't insult your intelligence. :naughty: For somebody who acts like a self righteous, self proclaimed, head full, know it all you sure missed this one by a mile. Apparently I'm more of a "first time scooter expert" than you thought so where does that leave you since you sure didn't have a clue & acted like I was the one that was clueless :smile: ??????
Wow! One lucky fix and now you are a self proclaimed expert. Of course all I had to go on was "your" description and made a guess, because without being hands on it is a guess, at best and you, you self proclaimed expert, got lucky. And because I put myself out, you bad mouth me? So I don't ever expect to see you on here asking for help or asking questions, because you are now a self proclaimed expert. :roll: It's * like you that can't figure thing out by themselves, but bad mouth someone who makes an effort to help. Well. I'm done with you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Bear, you are amazing. You even manage to aggravate a newbie, and this is the second in as many days. I guess it takes an ole fart to put up with an ole fart. :crazy:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Lunytune wrote:Bear, you are amazing. You even manage to aggravate a newbie, and this is the second in as many days. I guess it takes an ole fart to put up with an ole fart. :crazy:
I have a low tolerance for unearned arrogance and stupidity and this one definitely qualified on both counts.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

You are one old miserable geezer! You can dish it out but you just can"t take it! I was waiting for him to post back just to see your reaction. You fullfilled my every expectation!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

hondaman wrote:You are one old miserable geezer! You can dish it out but you just can"t take it! I was waiting for him to post back just to see your reaction. You fullfilled my every expectation!
Miserable???? I'm having a ball. I took my boat out whenever the weather was agreeable and I felt like wetting a line. If I didn't take the boat out I rode my ATV or went out to the range for some shooting. If that's miserable to you then you are as big a moron as you have proved to be in the past. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Here we go again! There are many things I could say about you and I am sure many others out there would agree! This will just end up like all the other times we have battled and go nowhere fast.
I just have to say it though! You were wrong! Yes Bear , say it with me! Bear was wrong! Lets spell it together W R O N G! Come on Bear you can do it! Say it slowly now! Bear was wro wro wro wrong!
Thats a good little geezer! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Hondaman, you must believe in miracles. :crazy:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes