ahhhhh!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kygreen229
BMX
BMX

ahhhhh!

Post by kygreen229 »

so i got my new variator in today with new rollers..def quicker off the line and a little bit faster on the top end. anyway my main concern was the annoyingly loud racket that comes from somewhere down in the general area on the left side..thought it was the rollers after i saw how flattened out and old they were. turns out it wasnt and the same noise is still there!!! drivin me crazy. is my 87' elite 50 goin to always make this noise or does someone have any other idea?? thanks for ANY input guys
87 Honda Elite SE50
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: ahhhhh!

Post by evilone »

Sounds typical, mine does same thing. New crank, variator, ramp plates, and rollers.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

One remote possibility is that the starter gear teeth on the drive face are making contact with the Bendix. Close inspection would tell the tale: worn or shiny edges of the teeth. Look also at the "castle" of the kickstart assembly, and its interface with the little nubs around the center of the drive face. If you don't have the correct gasket thickness - or you're using a little longer boss behind the outer pulley sheave, those can make contact too.

I know these are long-shots, but hey, you axed for ANY input.'

More grim possibilities include the crank bearings or the big- or little-end of the connecting rod. There just aren't that many moving parts down there to be noisy. Hope it's the pulley.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

hmm ya those are all possibilites for sure. i just dont know how confident i am in myself in checking some of that and ruleing each one out..ill have to see!
87 Honda Elite SE50
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Does it do it all the time? Mine does it after riding awhile. It's quiet for a long time then starts chattering. I figured it was the cheap rollers getting hot and not moving smoothly.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Which variator and ramp plate are you using?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I think he got the Keli mr pibbs
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

evilone wrote:I think he got the Keli mr pibbs
I noticed that the keli with the stock ramp plate on the 88-93 elites has just a little room for the rollers to rattle a bit. Remember that the stock setup was full of sound dampening grease.

The sound, though not a 'good' sound, is probably not terribly detrimental to the scoot.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

ya i do have the keli variator and stock ramp plate. i didnt have the starter gear in there before the noise and i just got a used one and put it in. so i know thats not the source of the noise cuz its been there before the starter gear..also i was soooo sure that the new rollers were going to fix my issue cuz the old ones were all worn out and flat spots..still the exact same noise. its got to be in the gear box im guessing. when ur getting up to speed it doesnt do it but when ur about there it just starts in on this loud chattering noise like something is goin to explode, and when you let off and are coasting it sounds funny too..same type of noise but ur coasting so it sounds a bit different. could it be i have some worn or wierd gears in the gear box?? maybe if i can get a noise clip that sounds right ill try posting that
87 Honda Elite SE50
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

mr pibbs wrote:I noticed that the keli with the stock ramp plate on the 88-93 elites has just a little room for the rollers to rattle a bit. Remember that the stock setup was full of sound dampening grease[/b].

I've heard you say that before but never bothered to ask. I thought the variator was supposed to be put up dry. So would packing the variator with grease be a good thing or bad thing? If you did, what kind of grease? Surely not something as thick as chassis grease?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Lunytune wrote:
mr pibbs wrote:I noticed that the keli with the stock ramp plate on the 88-93 elites has just a little room for the rollers to rattle a bit. Remember that the stock setup was full of sound dampening grease[/b].

I've heard you say that before but never bothered to ask. I thought the variator was supposed to be put up dry. So would packing the variator with grease be a good thing or bad thing? If you did, what kind of grease? Surely not something as thick as chassis grease?

I'm not sure if you could argue good or bad very easily. 94+ elites had/have no grease. The manual calls for a lithium based grease in 88-93 years. It's purpose was probably to smooth out the mid range motion of the rollers.

If you are not using a stock setup there is certainly no need for the grease. Even with the keli, there is really no need being that the plastic rollers lubricate themselves. Changing the ramp plate used with the keli might alleviate the sound and perhaps give better performance.

On a side note, I tried to reinstall the stock vari with grease and grease cover and ended up just spraying grease all over my case/belt. Made for a nice clean-up
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Does it make the noise with the bike up on the stand?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

bakaracer wrote:Does it make the noise with the bike up on the stand?
ya if i put it up on the stand it still is loud sounding like it is going to do it...but thats a good question i havent had the throttle wide open on the stand to hear the noise completely. im going to try and get a noise clip some how today and i will post it here.
87 Honda Elite SE50
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Packing the variator of that Elite with grease would not be bad. If it were bad then why would Honda do it from the factory?

To the OP, Mr pipps has a valid point about the stock ramp plate on the Kelli. Maybe try an aftermarket OKO or SEF to see if that cures the problem.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if he can find one for the small shaft motor he is using.the oko or sef ramp plates out there is for the af16 engines which have the big shaft.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r