spree hasnt run "correctly" for around 10 years.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jfed1988
Noob
Noob

spree hasnt run "correctly" for around 10 years.

Post by jfed1988 »

ok, i have an '87 honda spree. It only has like 50 miles on it. It has sat in a shed for the last 10 years. Recently, i have decided to try and get it running again. A few years ago i tried to get it started, but it wouldn't stay running unless i punched the gas, it wouldn't idle. also, even though i was giving it full throttle it wasn't going anywhere and would cut out anyway after running for a very brief amount of time. I really have no idea where to even start on this, so i'm mostly wondering what are some common problems these scooters have, and where should i begin. i attempted to clean the carb, but it did not help. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: spree hasnt run "correctly" for around 10 years.

Post by hondaman »

Attempting to clean the carb and actually doing it correctly are two different things. You have to literally take the carb apart and clean every part of it with ample amounts of carb cleaner. Either that or take it all apart and let everything soak in carb cleaner for a day or two. I suspect your vacuum valve may also be all gummed up as well. This is the first thing you do after checking to see if there is spark at the plug. A new plug would also be advised. After you verify there is good spark and good gas flow to the carb then try starting it. If it still does not run after this then a compression check is in order. I suspect a good carb cleaning and new plug and maybe a new vacuum valve will get you going again. I would also make sure you have all the old gas out of the tank and put in new 2 stroke injector oil in the oil tank. You also better drain out the old oil in the little transmission case by the back wheel and put in new stuff.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

90% of the time the carb is the issue. With only 50 miles everything is still new.

I would start by purchasing a can of carb dip. Disassemble the carb and place the carb body in for a few days soak. After a few days, retreive carb body the blow out every little hole with compressed air. Polish the float valve seat. Search "colgate"

Buy a couple of things from the Honda dealer:

Air filter
Spark plug
Fresh Honda Injector oil (GN2)
Seafoam cleaner

Remove the airbox and clean the inside thoroughly. Replace air filter element.

Drain the fuel tank and clean inside. Clean the fuel strainer and the petcock. Check to make sure the petcock is functioning properly. Add a small amount of Seafoam

Drain and refill oil tank. Clean oil strainer. Make sure you bleed the oil line. Add a small amount of Seafoam to the oil tank.

Replace spark plug

Make sure you downlaod the service manual for free (located on this site). It gives you step by step instuctions on how to do everything.

And Welcome to the forum :hi:
jfed1988
Noob
Noob

Post by jfed1988 »

I have just downloaded the service manual and ill give it a try. When i cleaned the carb i didn't really spend a whole lot of time on it, i'll replace all the above mentioned materials and give the carb a thorough cleaning and see if it does the trick. I could be back if this doesnt fix it, but thanks for all the help.
mopar4u
Spree
Spree

Post by mopar4u »

bradthreee wrote:90% of the time the carb is the issue. With only 50 miles everything is still new.

I would start by purchasing a can of carb dip. Disassemble the carb and place the carb body in for a few days soak. After a few days, retreive carb body the blow out every little hole with compressed air. Polish the float valve seat. Search "colgate"

Buy a couple of things from the Honda dealer:

Air filter
Spark plug
Fresh Honda Injector oil (GN2)
Seafoam cleaner

Remove the airbox and clean the inside thoroughly. Replace air filter element.

Drain the fuel tank and clean inside. Clean the fuel strainer and the petcock. Check to make sure the petcock is functioning properly. Add a small amount of Seafoam

Drain and refill oil tank. Clean oil strainer. Make sure you bleed the oil line. Add a small amount of Seafoam to the oil tank.

Replace spark plug

Make sure you downlaod the service manual for free (located on this site). It gives you step by step instuctions on how to do everything.

And Welcome to the forum :hi:

seafoam in the oil tank?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Seafoam in fuel :wink:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

mopar4u wrote:seafoam in the oil tank?
evilone wrote:Seafoam in fuel :wink:

Yup in the oil. Read the directions on the bottle... :eyeroll:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

bradthreee wrote:
mopar4u wrote:seafoam in the oil tank?
evilone wrote:Seafoam in fuel :wink:

Yup in the oil. Read the directions on the bottle... :eyeroll:
You need to reread the instructions on the bottle. Seafoam can go in the gas or the oil of a 4 STROKE, not in the oil of an injected 2 STROKE, gas only for the 2 stroke. All that will do is dilute your oil ratio and that is never a good thing.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I pulled out my can of Seafoam and no where does it say not to put it in the oil of small 2 or 4 cycle engines. What it does say is that it doesnt replace oil. Do not use seafoam instead of oil.

A small amount of Seafoam in the oil is something I have done on both of my scoots. For me its preventative maintanence. Maybe I should have clarified how much I meant by small amount. One capful will not dilute the oil enough to cause any problems.

Jeez in the "For storage " section it tells you to "inject it into the spark plug hole"

I guess you cant teach old dogs new tricks :naughty:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

bradthreee wrote:I pulled out my can of Seafoam and no where does it say not to put it in the oil of small 2 or 4 cycle engines. What it does say is that it doesnt replace oil. Do not use seafoam instead of oil.

A small amount of Seafoam in the oil is something I have done on both of my scoots. For me its preventative maintanence. Maybe I should have clarified how much I meant by small amount. One capful will not dilute the oil enough to cause any problems.

Jeez in the "For storage " section it tells you to "inject it into the spark plug hole"

I guess you cant teach old dogs new tricks :naughty:
I've forgot more about storing engines and the best way to do it than you will every know. Every fall for 15 years I winterized anywhere from 100 to 300 engines. Putting Seafoam in the cylinder for storage is not the same as putting in your 2 stroke oil injection tank. Only 2 stroke injection oil belongs in there. Additives belong in the fuel not in the 2 stroke oil. Seafoam in the oil is like putting fuel system cleaner or fuel stablizer in the oil, it just isn't done.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Bear45-70 wrote:Every fall for 15 years I winterized anywhere from 100 to 300 engines.
Yeah i'll bet bear... just like the 20 miles you used to walk in the snow as a child to get to school... :blah:

You're an old guy that thinks he knows it all and i'm a young guy that thinks he know's it all so I think that's just the way it is. You know I still love you, you old fart :love:
Last edited by bradthreee on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

PARK IT, BEAR! :eyeroll:
:b2t: jfed1988, Your scooter can't be fixed. Sell it to me for $100 and your headaches will be over. :smile:

Seriously, most of your problems are in the carburetor. Granted, you need to freshen the oil tank, gas tank, seafoam in the gas tank, and sparingly in the oil tank may cut some gunk out of the tank and lines. Sit on it, Bear!

Carb Gunk bath is not essential but does a good job of cleaning. But it will not clean out the varnish which is probably your problem. In particular, there are a couple of small passageways, so small that it takes a small guitar string to probe and punch through the hardened varnish. The Gunk bath will soften the varnish some, then finish clearing with the wire. DO NOT try to blow it out with air. That only packs the varnish tighter. Working with the Carb spray cleaner and the wire is best method. Once you get all those passageways clean, it should start. May need some priming first time. Use a squirt can with gas, not ether based starter fluids. Ether is hard on the system.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

bradthreee wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Every fall for 15 years I winterized anywhere from 100 to 300 engines.
Yeah i'll bet bear... just like the 20 miles in the snow you used to walk as a child to get to school... :blah:

You're an old guy that thinks he knows it all and i'm a young guy that thinks he know's it all so I think that's just the way it is. You know I still love you, you old fart :love:
Geezer please, "Old Fart" is unacceptable in mixed company. Image On the school thing, not even close, went to school in the big cities, Portland and Seattle. Rode the bus until I was 16, both ways and didn't care what the weather did. :wink:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree