spree tire size question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Shelton
Spree
Spree

spree tire size question

Post by Shelton »

the tires on my spree are 2.50 X 10 , i am looking for a set of whitewall tires to replace them with but the only whitewall that i have found is a 3.00 X 10 ... will that tire size fit on my spree without any modification ?

thanks in advance , Trae

i am in the process of building what i hope to be one bad * looking and running spree ... i am currently painting all of the plastic !!
1984 Spree , 1985 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1987 Spree , 1987 Spree
1985 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1987 Spree

Trae Shelton
Georgia

http://www.jbarsbuckingbullco.com
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: spree tire size question

Post by odinxxix »

some say they had to modify the fender and some say they didnt, its kinda in the air. best bet install and go from there.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

odinxxix wrote:some say they had to modify the fender and some say they didnt, its kinda in the air. best bet install and go from there.
part of the problem is that each brand -dare i say each model from each brand- is a slightly different size than each other one that bears the same size markings. :*:

so the "put them on and see" method can quickly backfire when you can't return the tires you mounted only to find they did not fit. if they are too big, they can rub through the bottom of your airbox, resulting in dirt in your engine and needing a new airbox. :evil:

if you are willing to take one for the team, order em' up, try em' on, and fill us in :mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Wheelman-111

Why Not Measure?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Before spending, measure what space you have. You need a half inch lengthwise, a quarter to each side. Timmy had 2.75s. Posts indicate that's the biggest that fit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Shelton
Spree
Spree

Post by Shelton »

thanks for all the responses ... maybe someone makes the whitewall tire in the 2.50 size ... i am new to the scooter modification world and i have not found all of the places to get parts ... anyone know where i might find the whitewall in the correct size ... like i said , i have only been able to find it in the 3.00

... also i am planning on NOT using the stock air box .. which brings me to my next question , where can i get a air filter that bolts directly to the carb ?
1984 Spree , 1985 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1987 Spree , 1987 Spree
1985 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1986 Spree , 1987 Spree

Trae Shelton
Georgia

http://www.jbarsbuckingbullco.com
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You can use any 1" mouth filter, but you may encounter issues with filter-shock interference. UNI makes the Darling of the 2-stroke set. K&N makes an angled 1" caled (I think... :confused: ) the RU-100.

Whichever you choose, the other issue is that the Spree carb's pilot jet is cast-in and can't easily be altered. It's designed for a good bit of negative pressure from the small stock airbox openings upstream, so that a free-breathing Pod will make your idle-to-midrange transition balky if not impossible, and a considerably larger main jet may be required even if that can be overcome. Failure to compensate for the loss of intake resistance will most certainly result in too lean a mixture, and possible seizure. The engine, not you... :wink:

If you wish to pursue this, see your Honda Dealer and axt them to look in their UNI or K&N catalog. Both brands run around $20. Be sure to use solvent to clean the carb and the filter "donut" before you mount.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re: Why Not Measure?

Post by Spreetard »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Before spending, measure what space you have. You need a half inch lengthwise, a quarter to each side. Timmy had 2.75s. Posts indicate that's the biggest that fit.
the biggest i've managed to cram under the airbox was an 80/90 bridgestone hoop. it rubbed a bit on the kickstand, but i took the centerstand off and had no further complications, save that i have to lean my spree up against things at all times. it was a bit bigger than the 2.75 residing under my spree currently.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by LocoParaHonda »

I have a related question, I'm working on an 86 Aero 50 and I got a set of nice 3x10 tires for free from a buddy. My service manual says 2.75x10, but I've heard people say a 3.00x10 will go on fine.

My question is, do I have to get a 3x10 tube also? or will a 2.75x10 work fine?
85 Honda Aero 50 w/kickstart and Keli variator. (Proteus)
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

3.00 almost certainly will fit fine. 90/90 Pirelli SL26 is larger and also fits Aero & SE/05 blocks. Some have reported 3.50s fitting, in fact - although at least one Forumista stated he had to shave something - like the engine case!

Tire sizes are precise, even though a different brand might be a different size with the same nominal size. Tubes are Purt' Near. As in tubes come in a "range" size such as 2.50-3.00 x 10". A smaller tube will stretch into a larger tire size, within reason. A larger tube however might inflate with folds that will quickly wear and puncture. If you're going with 3.00s your 2.75 tube should have no issues.

YMMV
Wheelman-111
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by LocoParaHonda »

Had a bit of trouble. It doesn't seem to fit right. I inflated it to just below the max PSI on the side of the tire (47) and after many deflates/reinflates its still rippled out farther on one side. Not sure why it's not fitting, several people have told me that it should. Again I'm using a 3.00x10 tire with the same tube that was in the previous tire ( a 2.75x10)
The service manual says 2.75x10, but there's tons of people telling me it should work anyways. Rim size is still the same so I don't know why it would'nt fit.

Here's what it looks like, though it's hard to see in the pic.

86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

like it was stated above though tire companys differ in size even though they say the same size. see i have a spree that has stock 2.50X10 tires. i put on 2.75X10 and im maxed for space. while others have put a 3.00X10 on theirs and had room. i didnt have that luxery in the kenda tires. so measure and do some research to see what the max size you can stuff in there and dont forget to inquire the exact tire size if you can.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by LocoParaHonda »

its not that the tires don't fit in the wheel well, they fit in the wheel well just fine.

It's just that when I inflate them on the rim, they get all womperjawed to one side and no amount of adjustment/deinflation/reinflation seems to make it straight. It's hard to see in the picture, but if you'll look closely, the line that goes around the circumference of the tire is way out on one side and close in on the other.
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Take it off and try again.

If it still does the same thing try a different tire manufacture.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

i had 2 michilen 90/90 one did that and the other was just fine
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

LocoParaHonda wrote:Had a bit of trouble. It doesn't seem to fit right. I inflated it to just below the max PSI on the side of the tire (47) and after many deflates/reinflates its still rippled out farther on one side. Not sure why it's not fitting, several people have told me that it should. Again I'm using a 3.00x10 tire with the same tube that was in the previous tire ( a 2.75x10)
The service manual says 2.75x10, but there's tons of people telling me it should work anyways. Rim size is still the same so I don't know why it would'nt fit.

Here's what it looks like, though it's hard to see in the pic.

It looks like the tire bead is not seating correctly. See how the rim has the kind of stair step out towards the edge, the goal is to get the bead set in that L. It is likely that you tire is tight for the bead seat, try a little soapy water on the edge between the tire and the rim with it deflated. Slowly inflate the tire to a workable squishyness, and pull/wiggle cajole the tire bead into place. Don't pry though, screw drivers are tough on these soft rims, and it would be a bummer to get your tire in place only to find out you poked a hole in your tube.