2000 SA50 reduced top speed

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

94cruiser
BMX
BMX

2000 SA50 reduced top speed

Post by 94cruiser »

I have a little over 5000 miles on the scoot now.
I put on about 3000 since I had it in a season and a few months.
The scoot runs the same as always meaning when cold I need to ride half a block to warm it up (it sputters with lots of smoke unless I'm easy on the throttle which I am). Starts up same way all the time.
Do I need to do any maintenance?
The mechanic told me the v belt was still good when he put in the pulley and rollers.

When the scoot was stock I would hit 35 without any issues.
I have the high speed pulley and rollers installed about 800 miles ago and the torque curve changed a bit, (the scoot accelerates the same or maybe faster at first, then it would taper off but would hit max about 37-38).

For some time now it does not want to go over 30 anymore. It accelerates still the same way as in after the rollers and pulley were installed.

One time while riding at WOT around 35 mph I hit a dip in the road surface and then all of a sudden my scoot started to accelerate past 35. I think I got it to about 45-50 for a brief moment, then I let go of the gas.
:woot:
2000 Elite SA50
stock
Wheelman-111

Slowing SA

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Despite your mechanic's advice, with that mileage the belt is likely wearing down. A new stock belt should measure 15.5mm. As the belt wears narrower, it won't travel all the way up the pulley in front, reducing your "overdrive" effect from the variator.

The other thing to check for is flat-spotted roller weights. The sharp edge of the ramp plate can "shave" the rollers, and because of the flat spot they are reluctant to "shift" past that point. One easy remedy is to round off the sharp edge of the ramp plate with a file or a dremel, then install fresh rollers.

A healthy 50 with an HSV and fresh belt should top 40, but 50 is unlikely without a set of gears. Mine did 42 (GPS) with 12:1 stock gearing, 49 with 9:1s.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
94cruiser
BMX
BMX

Re: 2000 SA50 reduced top speed

Post by 94cruiser »

My mechanic is really a bike guy, he does not do much scoot stuff.

I've never opened up the scoot before other than take out the battery and drain the gas for the winter.
Is this something I can do on a weekend?
With the onset of cold weather here in Chicago I think this weekend I'll park it for the season so I could check the belt and the condition of rollers.

Any guides that can help me do this?
I can do oil changes, plugs, wires on a car but I never touched the scoot.

thanks. :woot: :coolcruise:
2000 Elite SA50
stock
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

check the spark plug and clean the airfilter.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:
I'll park it for the season so I could check the belt and the condition of rollers.

Any guides that can help me do this?
Lots and lots of how-to threads in Tech Documents. Your Service Manual's in that section too. You may have to do a little reading, but if you have just a little wrench-spinning "feel", a decent Phillips head screwdriver and a Metric socket set you'll go far. Aside from sometimes fragile fasteners, this is easy stuff. :happy:

Order a belt, a belt-cover gasket, and maybe some Aftermarket rollers now. A new spark plug (or a box of them...) and an air filter element is a good idea. Drain the gas and run the carb dry while you're at it, if it won't be started all winter. Good luck.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

94cruiser wrote:One time while riding at WOT around 35 mph I hit a dip in the road surface and then all of a sudden my scoot started to accelerate past 35. I think I got it to about 45-50
Just keep hitting dips :coolcruise:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.