87 Spree Won't Idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

djkfunk
Noob
Noob

87 Spree Won't Idle

Post by djkfunk »

Quick Background: My brother gave me his 87 spree which has been sitting in a shed for about 15 years. I have basically cleaned everything - removed rust from gas tank using gunk + nuts/bolts, installed new fuel lines, cleaned carburetor, took wire brush to flywheel/magneto, new gas & oil, new spark plug, new bulbs...new belt arrives tomorrow, new air filter in a few days...

It starts fine now, but I can't get it to idle. It just continually revs up, pauses, then revs, pauses, etc...almost like I was throttling it up and down over and over...the throttle cable is installed properly and seems to be fine...the float and float valve have been cleaned and don't seem to be sticking. Everyone I've talked to seems to think it's either related to the carburetor or a problem w/ the float.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm not a mechanic so I'm basically learning as I go, and I REALLY need to get this thing on the road soon...thanks!
87 Spree, 33mph
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 87 Spree Won't Idle

Post by bradthreee »

The carb needs to be gone thru with a fine comb. You need to make sure that every little hole is clean and clear. That includes the little itty bitty one...I'm sure you know what im talking about. I have trouble with that one all the time...

Good luck with your project and congrats on the 87 Spree. Its the nicest model year :imo:
Wheelman-111

Spreidle

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome. For a guy who says he's not a mechanic, you've done a remarkable job getting this far! If you can stand to wait, see how it does once you install that new air filter, well-oiled. Sensitive creatures to upstream vacuum they are.

If that doesn't work, Brad's right about the carb. Almost nobody gets it clean enough the first time.

Regarding the float, let me suggest:
the float and float valve have been cleaned and don't seem to be sticking.
Sometimes that's hard to verify with a dry carb. It seems to work but add gas and maybe it doesn't. In my first experience with an Aero carb, a bit of two-stroke oil on the float needle helped for a day, but ultimately only replacement of the float needle solved a similar issue. The needle/bore clearance is evidently pretty critical, and a needle that looks perfectly fine even under magnification still won't always work. The needles are stupid-expensive for what they are, but you may have to bite the bullet and get one. The Manual says to replace the needle and seat as a pair. It seems to neglect the fact that the seat is cast-in. If it looks pitted you can polish with compound or even toothpaste and a half-stripped Q-Tip.

Well done so far, and good luck.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
djkfunk
Noob
Noob

Post by djkfunk »

Thanks much for the quick replies...I will definitely take these suggestions into consideration. I have since found out that my petcock assembly is bad, and my bystarter (byster?) is missing the needle valve, which basically means I need the whole thing (I'm told)...I found both parts brand new on eBay for about $50, about half the price of Honda :woot:

I've got a small, local, very economical mechanic helping me out now, so I'll definitely pass along the suggestions...thanks again guys!
87 Spree, 33mph
djkfunk
Noob
Noob

Post by djkfunk »

Also, do you guys know the correct settings for the carb adjustment screws? I believe one is related to air and one is related to gas, but other than that, I'm not sure which one is which :confused:

I'm sure the mechanic will be able to tweak them for me properly, but I'd def like to know for my own information :)
87 Spree, 33mph
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

Idle screw is anyones guess. pretty sure mine is about 2 turns out. thats the screw that is on top, the screw on bottom, the air/fuel is 1 3/8 out for 87. you can tweak about 1/4 turn either direction, but if you are going to turn the screw further out, that makes it lean, and i would plug chop it after every 1/8th turn to make sure you arent running it too lean. I highly recomend going into the technical doc. section and downloading the service manual for your spree, it helped me out a load getting mine up and running.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Typically, set both idle and fuel mixture at 1 1/2 turns. Then adjust by feel, or tach of you have one. If it starts at original settings, set idle for comfortable level. Then screw fuel mix screw in until it sputters, then back out until it smooths out. Sometimes you have to bounce back and forth between the two screws to get it running smooth and right RPM.

aerorob, plug chops are more to help confirm or choose jets, not for setting mixture screw. Light chocolate is good medium chocolate okay. White or light gray is too lean and black is too rich.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
djkfunk
Noob
Noob

Post by djkfunk »

Good info, thx guys!
87 Spree, 33mph
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

djkfunk wrote:I found both parts brand new on eBay for about $50, about half the price of Honda :woot:
Those brand new bystarters from Ebay are typically junk. Search on here and you'll see what I'm taliking about. You are better off buying the OEM one. Those are made in China or Tiawan and are crap...