broken cooling fin (updated with pix)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

broken cooling fin (updated with pix)

Post by turtle13 »

so my dog ran through the garage the other day and knocked the extra bore i have been patiently porting and matching off of the table, breaking off about a 3/4 sq inch piece off of one of the fins... should i just chalk this broken bore up to practice porting the bore thats on the scoot, or should i try it and risk a soft seize?
i dont have pics of the carnage... but this was the look i received after the incident, its hard to stay mad...
btw if any one needs a slightly ported 4 bolt intake let me know, i may just have one i will sell you, cheap.
Last edited by turtle13 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: broken cooling fin

Post by bakaracer »

you should be ok if the fin is chipped.If a large section of fins were gone than I would be worried.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
iggysepia100
Noob
Noob

Post by iggysepia100 »

Second that; let me see if I understand the thinking behind your question: because there is a piece of a cooling fin that is missing the temperature in that little area would be greater than in the rest of the jug, therefore creating the chance of a seizure; very unlikely, in my opinion; not only are temperatures around the jug pretty even throughout but I don't think a little broken piece would increase the temp that much.
Honda Spree
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

its not reaaly that i am too worried about the general temp raise in the begining, but what it could do in the long run. i am expecting this engine to run slightly hotter, being that it will be with raised compression and some port work as well. some of these things will raise temps a little, but once you put those together and then factor in the fact that in my neck of the woods in KC, pretty much all riding is WOT, then it starts to makes me worry...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

here are pics of the damage...
broken fins
broken fins
IMAG00252.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
'62 125cc Honda cub
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

just can weld fin back in.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

You can also drill holes in the fins so air can pass through the holes too.That way you will have even more surface area's to cool.The racing circuit guys do that on there race cylinders for better cooling.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

No Weld

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This is a rare time where I disagree with Wise VeeDubh. Welding heat can warp the cylinder. If you do it mic the bore for true or re-bore it. This will require an oversize piston.

If it were mine, I'd just run it as is. And send the dog to reform school. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Re: broken cooling fin (updated with pix)

Post by dem0nk1d »

try drilling into the side of the fin that broke off and jb weld some post on both sides. Then do the same to the other side. Should hold.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

I feel responsible for this.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

mr pibbs wrote:I feel responsible for this.
Eh, no reason to. its my fault for putting it on the edge of the table and letting my dog run around the garage. i am in the process of doing some porting on it now, and will run it for a while, atleast for testing. i havent made any ports bigger in the cylinder just yet, but have opened the ports up to where they are the same size all the way through as to not restrict flow. the boost port seems like it was extremely restricted from the factory, i opened it up about a mm in all directions, with out actually making the cylinder ports larger.
what amazes me is that there seems to be a bottle neck in every port, just smothing out the transfers, opening up the boost ports and taking the hump out of the top of the exhaust seems like it will provide a sizable gain (even if it is a mph or two...). i am trying to be meticulous in taking equal amounts out of all ports and to not take any off the top or bottom of the ports to affect port timing, but should i widen the transfers and the exhaust a little to allow for some more flow?
'62 125cc Honda cub
motomech
Goped
Goped

Post by motomech »

What is that, a MB5 cyl.?
It can be run as is, the engineers design plenty of cooling area into an air-cooled cyl.
It could also be welding without any warpage issuses, but it's not necessary.