'86 Spree Battery Size

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

roemer7
Noob
Noob

'86 Spree Battery Size

Post by roemer7 »

I'd just like to know the size and voltage of the battery found in my '86 Spree. One more thing, what's the dollar amount I should expect to spend?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

a honda spree is a 12 volt system. you can pick them up for around 15-20 dollars at your local auto parts store.
roemer7
Noob
Noob

Post by roemer7 »

What is the size?
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I went down to advance auto and told them the year and bike type, then hooked me up with an exact fit battery. It is an autocraft and is quite good. The only problem was that it cost $35! They did have it by the next day.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Scootertherapy quoted me $40 for a sealed Yuasa/Interstate.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

I did not have much luck with the Matinence Free type batteries. I took it all out of the package and filled the acid into the battery. Then i charged it. It worked fine for a few days then died. All of the acid evaporated or leaked out because the freaking thing was dry. I gave it to a friend and he put new acid into it, it sort-of worked. But then it started leaking. So go with a brand name. Its probably worth it in the end.
Tippmann98
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I bought an AutoCraft battery from advance auto and it seemed to work quite well. It was 35 bucks though, probably worth it in the end, never had any problems with it.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I always get mine from the (dare I say) Yamaha dealer. $20, no core fee and NOT maintenance free. (I prefer to put in the acid myself).
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

TRAITOR! haha, just jokin. But i highly agree with you, using maintence over maintence free. The ironic thing is its less of a hassle.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I prefer to see what the acid level is. Overcharging depletes the acid and you run dry and ruin the battery. I can always top up later if I can see it. Some of the newer maintenance free are actually filled with a jell and won't spill, making it safer, but I prefer being able to see it and know for sure.
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Exactly, not to mention the fact that when a factory makes a battery as a whole in the manufacturing process. They can be knocked around and hit, possibly ruining a cell or the entire battery.