Idles but loses power and dies when I ride it

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yobomba
BMX
BMX

Idles but loses power and dies when I ride it

Post by yobomba »

Well, I am a new owner of a 1987 Honda Spree. Has less than 600 miles on it and has been sitting up for the past 6 years. Overall looks in great shape....little dirty but will clean up nicely. :coolcruise:

Battery was missing and I might replace it later. Thought I would take it for a spin but could barely get it started. I thought I would give it a tune up by cleaning/changing the plug, draining the gas tank and oil tank and put all fresh fluids in. Pulled the carb and disassembled and sprayed out with B-12 Chemtool. Put it all back together and started it up by kick starting it a few times. :woot:

Idles fine and will even rev up with the wheel off the ground. (FYI: Now, the air filter was toast so I don't have a filter on it yet but i am getting one as soon as I get it running right.....I don't even have the airbox on it for now.)

I can jump on it and it will run for about 5-6 seconds and then it just dies like it is running out of gas. Restart it and repeat.....over and over. I messed with the idle mixture screw back and forth with no improvement to my problem. Meanwhile there is excess fuel coming out the bottom tube (overflow) of the carb which I suspect used to be connected to a hose or something.......well if it was hooked to something its not anymore. :roll:

I left it in the garage for the rest of the day and it has leaked a small amount of gas on the floor that looks like it has dripped from the bottom of the carb. :evil:

From the other posts I have read it looks like I might have missed a tiny hole that needs to be unclogged near the float in the carb.....might need to boil it? (Not sure the procedure on boiling)

Other option is that the fuel petcock is bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Last edited by yobomba on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keven
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Idles but loses power and dies when I ride it

Post by Trafficjamz »

It needs the air box to work properly.

The foam part too.

Sometimes the little screw on the top of my air box wiggles loose, letting in too much air,and it does exatcly what you are describing.

If you get an air filter and re-connect the air box you should in good shape.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Re: Idles but loses power and dies when I ride it

Post by joeweir1 »

My Aero did the same thing when I started it.Ran good for a few minutes then bogged out.After weeks of frustration and countless trouble shooting I put new reed valves in and that solved the problem.
85' Aero