Electric starter work?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yobomba
BMX
BMX

Electric starter work?

Post by yobomba »

I just got a 1987 Honda Spree and the battery was not installed. I hooked it to a 12 volt jump box to see if I could get the electric start to work.....but no luck. Is the electric starter bad? Will it only work with a battery installed? How can I tell if the starter is working correctly?

I am still working on other issues to get the thing running correctly so I did not want to rush out and buy a battery until I knew I had it running right. I plan on buying a battery......just not right now.

And yes, I had the key to "on" and the switch to "Run". :lol:

Thanks!
Keven
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Electric starter work?

Post by mousewheels »

Hi youbamba!

This is text from a similar response I made for someone with starter problems. You can substitute your 'jump box' for the 'battery under test' as discussed below:

--- pasted text ---
You can check the starter on the scooter, by *carefully* jumpering the positive battery terminal to the starter terminal. But before taking off the plastics - Here's some checks you can make:

1. Try turning on the blinker, watch the lights and then pull the brake. That's more load than the horn alone. If they dim a lot, battery may still be a problem.
2. I don't think this is being missed by you, but pull the brake before pushing the starter button. Brake light switches also control power to the starter relay
3. Assuming your battery passed the blinker and brake light test, you should at least hear a 'click' of the starter relay when you press the starter button, with the brake pulled as in step 2. If not, check the starter button functionality. Post back, and I or someone will detail that test.
4. If you are hearing a click, but the starter still does not run, it is either the starter relay contact, the starter or wiring in between. But the relay and starter are the most likely candidates.
5. Check at the battery + terminal. There is a fat red wire that sometimes gets broken near the terminal. It could be under a rubber boot, so move that a bit for a good view.
BR549
Noob
Noob

Re: Electric starter work?

Post by BR549 »

Hey yobamba,

Pay particular attention to #2 in mousewheels post! I also fought that one for a couple of hours before I figured it out! I could have just read the owners manual I got with mine, but no, not me!

If the relay turns out to be bad, a Ford fuel pump or AC clutch relay and 4 short jumper wires works great!

Also, go to the manuals section and download the repair manual. It is a big help.