Fuel leak......new part.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yobomba
BMX
BMX

Fuel leak......new part.

Post by yobomba »

OK, my 86 Spree is still leaking fuel after cleaning everything and having to put the original float seat back in since the one Honda gave me was incorrect. The leak is coming out the overflow from what I can tell.....but not out of the overflow tube like I thought it would......it's on the bottom of the carb at the rear on the inside (does that make sense??). It is coming out this turn down on the carb body itself.

Anyway, I hope to have the correct float seat in two days and see if that fixes it.......if not I don't know what to do.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about BUT THIS IS NOT MY CARB....just looks similar.

Keven
BR549
Noob
Noob

Re: Fuel leak......new part.

Post by BR549 »

yobomba wrote:OK, my 86 Spree is still leaking fuel after cleaning everything and having to put the original float seat back in since the one Honda gave me was incorrect. The leak is coming out the overflow from what I can tell.....but not out of the overflow tube like I thought it would......it's on the bottom of the carb at the rear on the inside (does that make sense??). It is coming out this turn down on the carb body itself.

Anyway, I hope to have the correct float seat in two days and see if that fixes it.......if not I don't know what to do.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about BUT THIS IS NOT MY CARB....just looks similar.

Yup, that is the bowl overflow vent. The manual shows a hose on it like the one on the bowl drain (port to the left in picture).

My 87 Spree has the drain line running to a plastic tab behind the cylinder. There are two holes in the tab. I'm sure the other hole was to hold the overflow line.

Anyway, sounds like your float needle isn't holding. The seat is cast into the carb. The manual calls the needle the "float valve."

Your float could possibly be bad or heavy as well. It is possible to adjust the float height and drop, but the reccomendation (manual) is replace the float.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That appears to be the outlet to the float bowl vent. It should connect to a standpipe in the bowl. Check to be sure the standpipe is present and firmly pressed into the bowl casting. If so, your issue is simply a matter of overfilling, which a functional float needle valve assembly should correct.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

I'm hoping that the new float (needle) will fix it......if not then I guess I will have to buy the plastic float itself. I'll let y'all know......
Keven