85 spree has zero electrical power

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

curtkydd
Noob
Noob

85 spree has zero electrical power

Post by curtkydd »

hi
i've just purchased a near dead 85 honda spree , i brought it home tore apart the carb which was a mess and a bunch of other stuff , i had the motor running strong outside the bike but when i put it all back together there is no power going from the battery to anywhere , before when i turned the key the taillamp would light up but now there is nothing at the tail lamp and nothing at the start button , the fuse that was connected at the battery was blown when i bought it so i just jumped it to get it running which it did but i am absolutely baffled why there is no power going anywhere now
its a bummer because i was all keyed up to play after getting it together

is there another fuse that i am unaware of because the only one i could find was the one that was undernieth the seat for the battery
or could i have cooked something by jumping that fuse

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
curt
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: 85 spree has zero electrical power

Post by ALOW1 »

curtkydd wrote:hi
the fuse that was connected at the battery was blown when i bought it so i just jumped it to get it running which it did but i am absolutely baffled why there is no power going anywhere now

or could i have cooked something by jumping that fuse

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
curt
I think you may have already answered your own question.

For what reason was the fuse blown to begin with is what you need to know. The fuse is put there so that it burns out before cooking something.

The fuse rating is there to protect the components and wiring from going over their amperes limitations.

Basically the way it works is lets say I have a small wire going to a turn signal, lets say the electrical system is designed to handle no more than 10 amps or the wiring will short out.

Now lets say somehow or another you broke that turn signal and the wires going to it somehow crossed. The circuit ( the wiring, battery/alternator, light bulb) then tries to send more power through the wires because the light bulb only needed 8 amps or so to light up.

Because the wires are crossed the electrical system sends all the amps to where the wires are crossed or the weakest part of any of the wires and heats it up causing a short in the wiring, or worse yet starts a fire.

You may already know how this all works, but for those that don't know anything about wiring its a basic explanation for them.

So the reason there is a fuse in the circuit is to make a week link in the system, that way if there is a problem the fuse will blow before more serious problems start to happen.

It may be something completely else as to why its not running. But by having that fused by passed you could of messed the wiring or something else up. If that is what happened I would probley get a test light and if you dont know how to use it, figure it out and check the wires out.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

I completly agree with ALOW1.
Maybe something is not engaging with the key ignition area?
"I can't drive......35!"
curtkydd
Noob
Noob

Post by curtkydd »

thank you for your reply
the bike was beat to snot so the reason for the fuse not being good could be due to a variety of reasons , i completely understand the purpose of the fuse being the weakest link , i suppose what i am trying to find out is what the next weakest link would be , i would suspect it is the starter relay as being a possible weak link seeing as it appears much of the power goes to it also it appears the current for the tail light is connected at that point as well
curtkydd
Noob
Noob

Post by curtkydd »

figured out the problem , runs like a charm
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

curtkydd wrote:figured out the problem , runs like a charm
What was the problem?
Spiderlad