Carb leaking problem.....STILL!!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Carb leaking problem.....STILL!!!!

Post by mousewheels »

One thing that will cause repeated grunge up the petcock and needle is if filter screen in the tank is missing or damaged.

Some guys drop in an inline filter when the screen missing. I feel a good tank screen should always be there. Without it the fuel system can loose it's safety factor - in that the petcock is subject to getting stuck partly open or damaged by grit causing a leak.
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

mousewheels wrote:One thing that will cause repeated grunge up the petcock and needle is if filter screen in the tank is missing or damaged.

Some guys drop in an inline filter when the screen missing. I feel a good tank screen should always be there. Without it the fuel system can loose it's safety factor - in that the petcock is subject to getting stuck partly open or damaged by grit causing a leak.
The filter screen IS there in the tank and it is clean as is the tank itself.......AND I even have a small inline clear filter before the carb. I have polished the seat but how much is enough?? I polished it with a q-tip placed in the end of a drill. It was shiny after I did it so I thought that was good enough. I have pulled the petcock and sprayed it out with carb cleaner really good. Tested it and it flows know fuel until I suck on the vacuum.

YET, when I ride it and park it.......it starts to drip out the overflow. Does leak while I ride or while it idles. I will eventually tear it all apart and clean it all ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

How can I tell that the float is lifting enough with the fuel in the bowl that it is shutting off the fuel to the bowl?? WIsh that thing was clear so you could see!
Keven
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

How can I tell that the float is lifting enough with the fuel in the bowl that it is shutting off the fuel to the bowl?? WIsh that thing was clear so you could see!
  1. There is a carb float level spec service manual spec of 12.2 +/- 1mm (0.48 +/- 0.04").
  2. Make a level gauge with clear tubing on the carb bowl drain.
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

mousewheels wrote:
  1. There is a carb float level spec service manual spec of 12.2 +/- 1mm (0.48 +/- 0.04").
  2. Make a level gauge with clear tubing on the carb bowl drain.
Clear tubing idea is good. I wish I could see the level of the float.....
Keven
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

yobomba wrote:
mousewheels wrote:
Clear tubing idea is good. I wish I could see the level of the float.....
Problem is, the clear tubing manometer only tells you what the fuel level is and nothing about the position of the float. Since you already said that the fuel overflows likely the clear tubing will just confirm its too high.

Did you do the needle valve test by blowing into the fuel line after float and valve reassembly? If that checked out OK it points to the float catching somewhere in the bowl or a stiff hinge. If it didn't check out there's not much point trying to use the carb until its fixed IMHO.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Oh .......and back to the petcock.

I'd pull the fuel line from the carb and run it into a bottle while the scooter is parked overnight. You'll probably find fuel in there the next morning which means the petcock is still not sealing properly.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My 84 spree carb leaks out of the overflow, only when it's running because my petcocks is working properly. When I got my spree in early Oct. 09 and it had a nail in the overflow tube to keep it from leaking, that may be a quick fix to keep it from leaking while you get the problem sorted. I figured as soon as I saw the nail that it needed a new needle and possibly a float I just haven't gotten around to picking them up yet.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

patthesoundguy wrote:When I got my spree in early Oct. 09 and it had a nail in the overflow tube to keep it from leaking, that may be a quick fix to keep it from leaking while you get the problem sorted.
That trick by the previous owner could have been just for the time of sale. I wouldn't want that in my garage.

With a leaking petcock & carb float valve, once overflow pipe is plugged, fuel will leak via the next higher points in the system - pilot jet, bystarter circuit. The fuel will leak into the carb body and probably get it's way into the intake and crankcase. Safety wise the scooter should always have a functioning petcock and float valve.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

lucky for me the petcock works as it is suposed to and the scoot is not ready for the road yet still some stuff like the carb to sort out before long trips and such. the thing runs ok I just have to rev it up a bunch before I drive it, which is ony around the yard. I got the scoot from a little old lady who had it sitting around because it had camefrom her late husband. That nail had been there at least 10 years from what I can tell. So it gets a new needle and float in a week or so when I can get out to get them, then it gets the motor vehicle inspection then insurance and then registration and plate and then I have to go take the balance test and written motorcycle saftey test for the endorsement for my drivers license. A ton of crap to drive a spree but that is Nova Scotia, Canada for ya.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Interesting that the Canadians require an endorsement to ride a scooter with and engine under 50 cc. In the US, most states exempt them from the endorsement requirement as they are classed as mopeds. Here you don't even need insurance.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

mousewheels wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:When I got my spree in early Oct. 09 and it had a nail in the overflow tube to keep it from leaking, that may be a quick fix to keep it from leaking while you get the problem sorted.
That trick by the previous owner could have been just for the time of sale. I wouldn't want that in my garage.

With a leaking petcock & carb float valve, once overflow pipe is plugged, fuel will leak via the next higher points in the system - pilot jet, bystarter circuit. The fuel will leak into the carb body and probably get it's way into the intake and crankcase. Safety wise the scooter should always have a functioning petcock and float valve.
well, I'm pretty sure the petcock can be ruled out. I pulled the fuel hose from carb and run it into a bottle over night and it did not leak at all with a full tank of gas. The float needle is just not seating correctly. I guess I pull it off and clean it one more time and polish the seat again.
Keven
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

If it makes you feel any better, I pretty much am battling the exact same problem.
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:If it makes you feel any better, I pretty much am battling the exact same problem.
This weekend I am going to pull the carb off and resurface (polish) the seat area since I already have a new float needle. I will try the test to blow through where the fuel comes in and see if the needle seals off the hole. If this all fails then I will probably buy the float itself since this one might be out of spec to push the float needle enough to seal off the fuel to the bowl. I hope I fix this minor problem. Any additional advise is greatly appreciated.
Keven
yobomba
BMX
BMX

PAY DIRT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by yobomba »

:peace:

Well, I tested the petcock one more time before I pulled the carb and all was well with it. I pulled the carb and polished the float seat again really well with a q-tip and a bit of toothpaste (Colgate :smile: ) and even bent the part where the float needle sits (just a tiny bit even though it is plastic)......put it back together and took it for a spin for about 10 minutes........came back and let it sit 2 hours and no leak.

Before, it would start to leak within about 10 minutes or so......but no leaks out the overflow at all!

True test will be in the morning Tuesday in my garage......hopefully no fumes=no leaks!!!!

I was about to give up but I think I finally hit it! Thanks for all the help with this!
Keven
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I'm hoping you nailed it with the carb! My problem is carb too, but I'm getting a refurb rather than fooling with the stupid thing myself.