Carb leaking problem.....STILL!!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yobomba
BMX
BMX

Carb leaking problem.....STILL!!!!

Post by yobomba »

OK, have had some fuel come out the overflow. Already cleaned the carb, replaced the float valve needle with a NEW one and it STILL leaks.

What should I try next......new float itself? Is there any way to adjust it? I mean it is just the float, a pin, and a screw holding it down.

Only other thing it could be is the petcock.

The thing runs GREAT but when I park it....it slowly drips out the overflow on to the ground and the fumes are terrible!
Keven
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Re: Carb leaking problem.....STILL!!!!

Post by Clivester »

Like Wheelman mentioned in the other post - try polishing the needle valve seat with rubbing compound (or toothpaste if desperate) on the end of a Q-Tip. Dremel makes a good lapping tool for this.

After re-assembly, test that the valve is air tight at the correct float height by blowing down the fuel hose.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

Clivester wrote:Like Wheelman mentioned in the other post - try polishing the needle valve seat with rubbing compound (or toothpaste if desperate) on the end of a Q-Tip. Dremel makes a good lapping tool for this.

After re-assembly, test that the valve is air tight at the correct float height by blowing down the fuel hose.
I did polish the seat with a small q-tip and a little toothpaste on the end. I pulled a little of the cotton off so it would fit....put it on my cordless drill and polished it a little. It did look a little shiny inside so I felt like it had done the job. I am going to let it sit for a few days to see if it will seat itself. If it still leaks all week then I will disassemble and try the test to see if the valve is air tight.

Thanks for the advice!! :2thumbs: That's why I get on here. :hi:
Keven
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Your petcock is probably grunged up too. Both needle valve and petcock need to be leaking for fuel to drain from the carb. Try removing and cleaning the petcock.
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

did you replace the float yet? check to see if it is filling up. ther could be a small crack in it and fuel is seeping into the float weighing it down keeping the needle open. petcock could be sticking open or have a hole in the diaphram.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

odinxxix wrote:did you replace the float yet? check to see if it is filling up. ther could be a small crack in it and fuel is seeping into the float weighing it down keeping the needle open. petcock could be sticking open or have a hole in the diaphram.
the float is good....no fuel inside of it the times I have taken it out. Seems to be good......wish the fuel bowl was clear like glass so you could tell how the float is reacting.

I guess I am going to take the petcock off and clean it again real good and give it one more try. I know that a new one is around $40......who on here has a good used one???

Now cleaning it......I am just going to soak it in Berryman's B-12 Chemtool......I have read that you don't want to use compressed air though.....that correct?
Keven
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

that is correct no compressed ait as it may damage the diaphram inside. i belive there is a thread in the tech area that shows one broken down. as for parts try bradthree,upsmale. check the wanted section there are a few spree partouts in there.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Here is my post that shows an opened petcock. It may help you with attempts to bring yours back to proper operation (if that's one of the problems of course).

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... it=petcock
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

Clivester wrote:Here is my post that shows an opened petcock. It may help you with attempts to bring yours back to proper operation (if that's one of the problems of course).

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... it=petcock
Well I got home today and pulled the fuel line off the carb and fuel just ran straight out of it......so I figured the petcock was bad, stopped up or something. I took off the petcock and sprayed it out with B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner. I really sprayed it out good and the test I did after I shook it out good enough for it to be dry (since I did not want to use compressed air) was I filled the top (where it big nut screws to the gas tank) with B-12 to see if it would run out the fuel outlet or the vacuum and it didn't leak at all. The top stayed full with the carb cleaner and did not leak out either outlet. I feel like this might have fixed the problem......what is another test I can do before mounting it back on again??
Keven
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I suggest you plug a clean line to the vacuum port and briefly apply vacuum a few times to see if:
A: Fuel flows as it should when vacuum is applied, and
2: Fuel flow stops when vacuum is released.

If it passes those tests, you may be good to go.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I suggest you plug a clean line to the vacuum port and briefly apply vacuum a few times to see if:
A: Fuel flows as it should when vacuum is applied, and
2: Fuel flow stops when vacuum is released.

If it passes those tests, you may be good to go.
so basically......reinstall petcock, hook up both vacuum and fuel lines to petcock....Apply vacuum on vacuum line and see if fuel flows....and stops when vauum stops. If it passes that test it should be good to go, right?
Keven
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

yobomba wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Apply vacuum on vacuum line and see if fuel flows....and stops when vauum stops. If it passes that test it should be good to go, right?
Correcto mundo!!
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

Clivester wrote:
yobomba wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Apply vacuum on vacuum line and see if fuel flows....and stops when vauum stops. If it passes that test it should be good to go, right?
Correcto mundo!!
Well, I did the test I mentioned and it passed it......HOWEVER.......I rode it for about 15 minutes, parked it and it is still leaking a bit when it sits still. Doesn't run out....just drips out over flow tube.

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!
Keven
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No need to give up. Faulty petcock seal and leaky float valve is a common Aero/Spree/Elite double-whammy. It makes sense that the conditions causing one to fail will also affect the other. The petcock sometimes sorts itself out with fresh fuel and/or a capful of Sea Foam, in my direct observation. The Float Needle does not. I had to replace one with a brand-new Honda one despite the fact that my old one looked fine. Polish up the needle seat in the carb body and bite the (expensive) bullet for a new valve needle and the problem will be solved, even if the petcock isn't completely fuel-tight.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
yobomba
BMX
BMX

Post by yobomba »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

No need to give up. Faulty petcock seal and leaky float valve is a common Aero/Spree/Elite double-whammy. It makes sense that the conditions causing one to fail will also affect the other. The petcock sometimes sorts itself out with fresh fuel and/or a capful of Sea Foam, in my direct observation. The Float Needle does not. I had to replace one with a brand-new Honda one despite the fact that my old one looked fine. Polish up the needle seat in the carb body and bite the (expensive) bullet for a new valve needle and the problem will be solved, even if the petcock isn't completely fuel-tight.
I have already replaced the needle seat......did that first. I'm clueless as to what to do next other than buy a new petcock! I've polished the float seat, installed new valve needle, cleaned petcock and tested out right......frustrated! I just want the leak to stop!
Keven