Transmission oil ?'s

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Yes, of course you can use auto tranny fluid in a manual transmission if it was designed for it. I'm just stating that the Mopar I had was factory designed for auto fluid and it wore out the transmission. Swapped to heavy gear oil and no more problem. Won't hold up under heat.

I change the fluid in the bikes annually. Actually it's a spring thing for me. If I did it in the fall, I forget and do it again in the spring. I also flush the tranny after draining and then install new fluid. I use kerosene for flush. Blow dry and refill.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Using kerosene for flushing is a good idea. I flush and filled the trans on this one 5-6 times. When I finally took it apart to replace a bearing, it was still full of rusty oil. Gross.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Oh, ok...flushing annually. Hearing all this two stroke burns faster made me think you were gonna have to add every week. :lol:
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Annually is fine as long as you don't see any oil buildup around the tranny. Only happened once to me and a seal was on the way out.
Fixed that and no more problems.
Always flush it annually. Sediment does build up and over time (probably several years) it would wear the bearings and the gears in the rear end. As before, for the couple cents it costs to do it, why not avoid a hassle?
Scoot safely
DENMAN
Noob
Noob

Re: Transmission oil ?'s

Post by DENMAN »

Jhoodwink wrote:I was wondering can I just use any SAE 10w40 motor oil? There aren't any special additives that have to be in it? Also when changing the transmission oil do you just siphon it out of the fill hole? Thanks in advance! James :D
2T ENGINE OILS SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY TRANSMISSION OR GEAR OIL APPLICATION. THESE OILS CONTAIN SOLVENTS WHICH ATOMIZE READILY AND CONTAIN NONE OF THE SULPHUR-PHOSPHOROUS ADDITIVES THAT PROTECT GEARS. MULTI-VIS MOTOR OILS ARE ALL THAT IS REQUIRED TO PROTECT THE TRANSMISSIONS OF THE LIGHTLY LOADED HONDA SPREE MACHINES.