Transmission oil ?'s

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Transmission oil ?'s

Post by Jhoodwink »

I was wondering can I just use any SAE 10w40 motor oil? There aren't any special additives that have to be in it? Also when changing the transmission oil do you just siphon it out of the fill hole? Thanks in advance! James :D
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

James,

You only need to post questions once.

Manual lists 10-30W, Jerry recommends using 2-stroke oil. I defer to his experience.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Synthetic ok?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Synthetic is fine, but why waste it? Regular old two stroke is just fine.
Pull the plug, tip bike on side (protected), let drain, set on kick stand and refill.
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Trans Oil

Post by Tippmann98 »

2 strole has its advantages and disadvantages. Yes, it burns off. So you HAVE to remember to keep putting oil. But with using 10-w40 it will not burn off as much and mostly stays till the next oil change. Any type of 10-w40 will do. You do not NEED any special additives, but considering the age of these machines. I am sure it will not hurt a bit. I use a transmission fluid made by honda, its red and is SAE 80w.
Last edited by Tippmann98 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

i work at Jiffy Lube, will the tranny fluid for cars work for the spree? if so i can get free fluid :) yay me!
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

80W? That's some pretty heavy oil to put back there, a lot thicker than the specified 10-30W oil.

Auto Trans fluid is 7W to 8W, with antifoaming agents added. I'm not sure what the viscosity of 2-stroke oil is. Since the rearend only take a fraction of a quart, cost has never been a concern. Auto trans fluid should work, but since Jerry's had good luck with 2-stroke oil, I'm sticking with that. :D
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Still don't understand the 2-stroke vs 10-40W argument.

Two stroke burns off faster yet the factory recommends 10-40W. Any inherent advantages that the two stroke offers? Seems like you're increasing your service intervals if anything.

On another note, Honda Two Stroke oil at my Honda dealer...is that for injection systems and correct to use?
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

honda 2-stroke is what is recomended in the manual, it should say somwhere on the bottle about injection systems and that its ok for it.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

It is actually pretty thin stuff, honda made, runs pretty well. But on another point, with the type of 2-cycle you burn in the motor. I really do refer Lucas brand 2-cycle. It is a clear, TCW-3 and is "smokeless." Which it actually reduces the emission color a lot. Not to mention it cuts out most of that bad smell that two cycle has. It also cuts out on a lot more clogging, me and Shane4188 have seen this through use. Its a miracle Spree oil. But really, look into this stuff. It is about $7 a bottle, they carry it it Oriley Auto Parts.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

I use Yamalube 8O

Yamaha's synthetic oil, seems to work fairly well and doesnt burn, also it "dramaticly reduces visible smoke" I like it and recomend it
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Ya'll say what you may, but I'm sticking to two-stroke in the tranny. Sno-mo injection oil, never had a problem, never have noise, never have to wait for a warmup before I get top speed on the bike. Thicker oil is going to really slow you down, that's a given.

Tranny fluid for a car - no way. It's greatest purpose is to absorb heat and transfer it away from tranny. Roller bearings and sealed ball units are in most every auto transmission. The heat comes from the friction clutches, which must be kept cool. Mopar experimented in the 70's with auto tranny fluid in their stick shifts and it was a disaster. (Experience). New tranny, swapped to 75-90 and never another problem.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Actually Jerry, you can run auto trans fluid in a properly designed manual. I had an '85 S-10 with a 5 speed manual, that called for auto trans fluid. The thinner oil gives better fuel economy.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Tipper, is this the Lucas you use? LINK

Jerry, how often do you have to maintain the oil level in the tranny?
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Yes that is what I use also.