starting problem PLEASE HELP

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Vdub spree
Noob
Noob

starting problem PLEASE HELP

Post by Vdub spree »

I have a 85 honda spree and the throttle cable sticks. I am going to go pick one up tomorrow but the spree doesn't start at all. I have spark at the spark plug and its getting gas. I am wondering if the broken thottle cable would keep gas coming into the engine and flooding it. The spree will not start and its almost summer time. PLEASE HELP with some pointers
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: starting problem PLEASE HELP

Post by fightingplankton »

first things first(i went through this myself)

1. disconnect the throttle cable from the carb
2. check to see that you have full movement in the cable whilst not connected.
*at this point, you'll know if you need a new cable.
3. when reconnecting the cable to the carb, make sure the throttle valve(the cylinder w/ the split down the middle) is facing the right way in, there are litttle notches that line up in the carb. this is what made my cable stick and i'm willing to be this is the case on yours as well.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Vdub spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Vdub spree »

i have disconnected it multiple times. now when i pull the throttle the cord comes in but then very slowly releases. i know that when you pull the throttle when its running the engine does not rev or anything. im not sure y but i believe that the throttle is letting the engine flood continuelsy
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

if its not springing back quickly whilst disconnected, then either you need to adjust your throttle(the nuts near the control itself) or replace cable.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

well regardless of condition of cable, it oughta start still. thats the idea of the idle screw? It controls idle...when throttle is closed, idle screw is what keeps bike running cuz the tapered screw holds the slide open. Try runnin the idle screw in further and see if it'll start then. Also..you say it IS gettin fuel? How are you aware of this? Open drain screw on bowl? You could either have some shmeg stuck in your jets OR Vacuum line to the tank petcock could be pluged, or diaphragm in petcock could be shot? Here's an idea, If the idle screw thing doesnt work, First try shootin it with a quick squirt of ether. It oughta fire if you got spark like you say. IF it does fire, try disconnecting the Vacuum line to the petcock, and either suck on it (for god sake, make sure its the vacuum line, not the fuel line! lol) and try crankin it over. You'll have to kinda keep constant pressure on the vacuum line or it'll go shut. If it fires that way..then check your vacuum port on the intake for debris or soemthing blocking it from gettin vacuum. And if alll that fails, Check your compression. If its been sittin all winter, maybe one of the rings stuck and just needs a little oil down in the cylinder to free it up. I've done this to numerous sleds and got em runnin! Lemme know what ya come up with. THe whoel broken cable thing just doesnt make me think it shouldnt run.

-Zac :coolcruise:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Vdub spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Vdub spree »

i took the throttle apart and when i put the pin back into the carb without the cable attached the spree ran good. Now it could help if someone can tell me how the pin and spring and everything goes together in the pin holder. when the throttle cable was attached it did not run and the engine continuously got flooded. Please help with throttle assembly im getting a new cable tomorrow so please help with assembly im a nooob.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

as detailed as i can get w/o pictures.

1. loosen the throttle by adjusting the nut near the handle bar(its reverse threaded)
2. jet needle(the pin) has a clip around it called a retainer, that goes just above the little washer on the needle.
3. drop that into the throttle valve(cylinder w/ slot in it)
4. slide the throttle valve spring over your throttle cable, compress it until you have room to put the little bead at the end of the cable into the throttle valve(there is a hole at the end it pops into).
5. put the throttle vavle into the carb w/ teh slot facing forward
6. tighten the carburetor cap onto the carb
7. pull back on the throttle to make sure the cable moves
8. if its not moving tighten the adjusting nut up by the handle again.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80